The Sparrow | Teen Ink

The Sparrow

By mocha GOLD, BSB, Other
mocha GOLD, BSB, Other

"And the unspoken truth reverberates in the silence for eternity..."

In the realm of the birds, there is a huge variety of the species. From the small hummingbird, to the mighty eagles. Each bird show a unique trait special to its own kind. And each, thought the most of its type.

"I am the most beautiful," cried the peacock.

"But I have the most powerful wings," boasted the eagle.

"Yet it is I who has most grace," thought the swan.

And each had something good to say about themselves. The little brown sparrow hopped at a windowsill, looking at the rest discussing which at aspect they are superior in. Then it flapped its little wings and came to a pond. It looked down and saw its reflection.

"No, I do not possess haunting beauty. I cannot soar high in the sky. I do not have strong legs, and I definitely cannot sing perfectly."

The little sparrow twitted sorrowfully and came to a windowsill to mop away. At the opposite side of the glass pane of the closed window, was a little child.

"What a solemn boy! I better fly off before he does anything to me," chirped the little bird to itself.

As it was about to fly away, he heard the kid's voice.

"Please, don't go."

The sparrow looked back. It was a gal's voice! It hopped aside as the kid opened the window. It chirped at the kid questioningly.

"Hi! I'm Abby."

The sparrow was confused. Little girls had long hair and wore nice dresses. This one was in a plain and ugly smock, and had no hair! It hopped to the palms that opened so lovingly to it. At its depressed state, the sparrow allowed the hands to close around itself. A little warmth felt just great then.

"You're so nice, Lil Sparrow. No one else would play with me. Everyone is disgusted with how i look. Will you be my friend?"

The sparrow twitted back. They did not understand what each was saying. But tones could never lie. That was the start of a strong friendship. Everyday, when the sparrow had fed, it would fly to the open windowsill and hop into the ready embrace of the frail little girl. Sometimes it was late, especially during rainy days, and the gal would be sad, and only with the Sparrow's presence did Abby smile. Occassionally, Abby had some crumbs she got from her mom and she would feed that to her darling sparrow. Normally, she had only gruel for meals, and it was so horrible that Abby did not wish to let the sparrow share her sufferings.

When one day, Abby's mom finally noticed the sparrow being around Abby, she shooed it from the room. And closed the window. Crying, Abby ran to open the window again, only to be chided by her mom. Only by pretending to be docile did Abby got her mother to leave the room, and she let the sparrow in again. She apologized to the sparrow. Over and over again. So scared that the sparrow would refuse to return after the episode.

The next day however, Abby's mother was more prepared, she locked up the window. The sparrow chirped at the windowsill for hours, but Abby could not open the window. Her tears streamed down endlessly, and she kept clawing at the window, until her fingers were all red. But to no avail.

The sparrow then realized one thing.

WE may be plain. We may be boring. But to some people, we mean the whole world. There would be someone out there, who wants to make you special, who needs you to make his/her life better and more meaningful. And when that someone appeared, you will realize, that you live your life, just to make ONE other person happy.?

So, even when its wings were nearly broken from the blind navigation, the sparrow found its way into Abby's room from another open window. Abby's mom did not see the significance of the sparrow in her little girl's heart and use a broom to whack at the bird's already weak wings. Abby called to the bird, and it flew to her arms, which shielded it from more harm.

Then Abby and her mom compromised, she kept the sparrow in a cage. Abby often opened the cage to let it free, but it always flew back to the cage.

Because when you really Love, there is no longer such thing called Freedom.

And there the sparrow stayed till cancer finally ate Abby up. And then? It flew away from the cage that sad day. And before it even paused to rest, the sparrow suddenly stopped flapping its wings, and plunged to the ground. But before it hit earth, it had already died, of a broken heart.

mocha GOLD said...
mocha GOLD, BSB, Other

I'm glad if its clearer now :)

Quoth-the-Raven BRONZE, La Selva Beach, California

"I would tell you I am not as crazy as I appear, but that would be a lie."

Yes, the other makes more sense now. This story is very sweet, it seems like something that would go into a modern day Grimm's Fairy Stories. Bravo!