A penny's worth | Teen Ink

A penny's worth

By ArgonElement SILVER, The Woodlands, Texas
ArgonElement SILVER, The Woodlands, Texas

Question Authority.

A child with a grubby face and tattered bows stooped over a cracked gutter. Her delicate, little fingers reached out to the dull shine of an old penny, as her innocent eyes widened with delight.

Her thumb brushed the edge of the copper wonder, so softly, and the penny, which had been precariously perched there, slid into the damp depths of the gutter.

Her face still joyous, only fell to disappointment as the light twinkle of the penny’s demise echoed back to her.

She stood, hand still outstretched to her lost treasure. A tear sprang into the gutter to unite with the penny, as she in vain reached as far into the gutter as her small arms would allow.

She sighed, straightening up, her blessed childhood allowing her to be oblivious to the muck imprinted onto her clothes and skin.

She turned away, wiping away her sorrow with the backs of her hand, leaving trails of clean, pink skin on her face.

A man, dressed in a grim, crisp overcoat and shiny leather shoes, watched her give a final, remorseful look at the wretched gutter which swallowed her joy.

He reached into his pocket, to pull out a few gleaming coins and creased bills.

He glanced at them, making sure it was enough to buy a treat which would relieve him of his pity for her.

The he gently tossed them behind the receding child. The tinkling noise that had at first brought sadness to the child’s face, now brought elated surprise.

The child knelt at the spot where the coins danced and bills fluttered, the miracle of their sudden appearance going unquestioned, as the wonder of their beauty set in.

She absently set the dull, green bills aside, staring in awe at the coins now in her palm.

Slowly, she set coin by coin to her side, until the only coin she cradled, glinted copper.

She carefully stood, her eyes shining with joy and tears, and she ran off, hand clenched as not to lose her treasure twice.

The rich man stared dumbfounded at the abandoned silver coins and runaway bills. He hurried over to them and picked them up, tucking each hurriedly into his pocket.

He dismissed the child foolish, for picking the lone penny over the bills. He laughed to himself, how could the simple shine of brass be more valuable than six dollars? He laughed again, quietly. Foolish child.

Money's true worth.

Question Authority.

JustAnotherOwl! Thanks so much! And yah, so much of my work is PENDING. BLAH!

JustAnotherOwl SILVER, Unknown, New York

"See, we don't really care who you are;
Everyone is capable of looking up and wishing on a star.
So catch it, so contagious, this day-dreamer's disease,
And hope can be your sword, slaying darkness with belief."

"Sanctuary"- Paradise Fears

I really love the way you write! I wish you had more up on Teen Ink!

Question Authority.

Exactly, greed and age come hand in hand.

Question Authority.

Haha remember the mud pies and Toys 'R' Us. Dude, I threw the craziest tantrums when I was in there. If only I had videos!

I'm completely sure the security people saved it just to have a good laugh at my insanity over toys and my parents bewilderment at how to suppress me.

Good times.

that is so beautiful! i wish we could hold on to the innocence of childhood. everything would be so much easier.

IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

This is a very good story...
I could remember the childish joys I have. :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Sorry, I read this early in the morning and was not yet fully functional. :)  I understand it now!

Question Authority.

I meant bows as in ribbons! I actually like ribbons better anyhow. Thanks!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

This is a great short story!  There's only one thing that confuses me.  The first sentence: "A child with a grubby face and tattered bows stooped over a cracked gutter."  Did you mean to put 'clothes' after tattered?  If so, you shouldn't have 'bows' and 'stooped' in the same sentence because they mean basically the same thing.