Just My Luck Prologue | Teen Ink

Just My Luck Prologue

By polar-icecap DIAMOND, Sioux Falls, South Dakota
polar-icecap DIAMOND, Sioux Falls, South Dakota

"Angels don't even come close to you!"

It started on any normal day. Year 2222. Day three of the seventh month. my birthday, and the announcement for who won the drawing. The drawing that will change one students life forever. Molter Day, the most prestigious talent school in the Norma region. The music students became successful musicians. The Mathletes went on the create rules that still are correct to this day. It was amazing to think that there was a chance that someone may have a chance to get in. Usually you only get in by audition, and most of the time only the cream of the crop get in. But now with the drawing in place, one lucky student will get in by pure luck. Most are what people consider future role models. Now they've decided that one average joe may actually have a chance. But there is a catch. It's a musicians education. Which means you are supposedly going to go onto a career in music. But that won't stop everybody and their mother from entering. It's the day that one person, possibly me, will get into Molter. But out of the thousands that entered, the odds are not in my favor. I stand among the crowd, clad in pink and blue, the colors formal for such occasions. The atmosphere is quiet and contained. But I can tell everyone is anxious. Finally, Princple Evergreen walks to the front of the crowd, with her large procession of professors. Her gray hair hanging in it's usual long ponytail, her emerald eyes sparkling in the morning sunlight. Her pink and black robe flowing behind her at an unusually slow speed, every movement, impossibly graceful. She reachs the podeum, standing directly next to the box where everyone submitted they're applications. She reachs her pale, fragile hand into the box, everyone holding their breath. Complete silence encompasses the crowd.
"Victoria Wright," she calls to the crowd. No. It can't be true. Victoria died just last week. I remember a report going out in the obituary. I remember seeing her cause of death. The Mites. A terrible infestation of which I don't want to go into much detail about. Professer Black whispers into her ear, probably whispering the news.
"Seems I've made a mistake. The real winner is..." I can barely contain the anticipation, the emotions threatening to burst straight out of my chest.
"Lola Richards." Oh my God. I won. I'm going to Molter Day! I find myself running to the stage, blond, curly, whisps flowing behind me. I must have astonished the professors, because they look at me as if I've already disgraced their school. I replace my stature with that of a ballet dancer, poised and ready to begin.
"Welcome to our school Miss Richards. We look forward to your presence at our school," she says offering up a genuine school.
"I look forward to it as well, Ms. Evergreen," offering a smile of my own. She turns to the crowd.
"This is your winner for the first exceptance without audition. Her performance will base if we should not continue this program. In the meantime, we wish you luck as you continue your education in other ways." She turns away and walks back down the stairs of which she had just resently walked up.Her army of professors following close behind. I watch as they disappear, one by one. If only my parents could have been here to see this. It's to bad they will never know. But such is life. All I know is I'm going to Molter Day, and no matter how many people don't like me, I'm going to enjoy it.

This whole story idea came to me in a dream. It's almost as if I was meant to tell this story