A Greater Fate Than Death | Teen Ink

A Greater Fate Than Death

By Walker_John BRONZE, Boscawen, New Hampshire
Walker_John BRONZE, Boscawen, New Hampshire

Pain is temporary, victory is eternal.

The sun quickly rises, ending my sustained slumber. My natural undertakings are telling me to rub my eyes; however, I do not feel tired. Instead I feel refreshed and prepared to take on the day. As I am about to prepare an egg I realize that I do not feel hungry; nor thirsty. I feel as if I have been graced with eternal content. Why has life given me such conveniences?

“Foolishness!” I say to myself, realizing that such things do not exist. I must be of exemplary health. Though, as hours pass and I remain content, perhaps it is true and I have been embellished! Perhaps the universe has finally recognized my brilliance.

I run outside to share with my neighbors of my miracle, but a peculiar voice enters my thoughts as I step into the lonesome atmosphere of my street. The voice has somehow contorted my mind and I feel strangely obligated to believe what it says. I feel as if this voice was given to me. Yes, I have been given a voice inside my brain. The voice is telling me that I am alone.
You are alone on Earth, it says. I ponder at the thought, and then step forward in dominance to this dreary news. “Very well,” I say out loud as if speaking to someone. “But why do I not feel hunger, thirst, or fatigue?” And as I receive another message by this invisible voice, I am able to conclude that this voice cannot control my thoughts, but only speak to me.

You are eternal, it says. I laugh at this immense gift; not in humor but in accomplishment! “Why have you blessed me in this way?” I ask. I can feel the slightest bit of laughter in my brain from the voice, and for the first time it’s as if it is speaking down to me. Perhaps you have been damned, it says.

Damned? What damnation is eternal life? I yell, “I do not fear this damnation!” The voice does not reply so I yell again, “I do not fear this damnation!” The voice’s message then enters my mind and I am baffled by its unsubtly. What do you fear? it says, but I am certain it is only trying to fool me so it can release my fears upon me. I create a careful response.

“I fear a fate greater than death!” I yell for the heavens to hear. There is no response, so I feel as though I have outwitted my opponent. My accomplishment takes me to the empty street where the usual flow of others is absent. It is quiet, and the only sound comes from the wind. I truly am alone.

Hours pass and the realization has begun to take effect on me deeply. I feel as though my immortality does not have as much meaning as I previously thought. I am quickly filling with hopelessness and longing, but I refuse to show weakness and attempt to continue. It becomes over whelming and I fall to my knees where my defeat is evident. “You are right,” I say with a tone of regret. “This is damnation!”

You fear damnation, it replies. I am infuriated and shout, “I only fear a fate greater than death!” I can once again feel the slight laughter of the voice. I try to resist the voice’s message from entering my mind, but I fail and their final words are left echoing in my brain.

All fate is greater than death, it says. Quickly I awaken, but not from slumber… I am, however, feeling very drowsy.

"I go to seek a great perhaps..." -Francois Rabelais