Amalia | Teen Ink

Amalia

By JadeW GOLD, Hillsborough, North Carolina
JadeW GOLD, Hillsborough, North Carolina

“There is the great lesson of 'Beauty and the Beast,' that a thing must be loved before it is lovable.”
― G.K. Chesterton

My feet graze the castle steps, my dream a smile among my face, and I realize in a twisted way I have reached my true dreams.  As they prep me for what is to come I sit in the room they placed me in the grey walls staring at me, I begin to think of my life, and what lead me here to what would be my dream.

The village people say I was always doomed by fate since before birth. And that was all my horrible mothers fault. But I blame my father. I never knew my father but  for only  the man who impregnated my mother was one of those hush hush things for my mother and he were not married, nor knew each other quite well. Which was such a disastrous horrid things in the kingdom of Ivanna.  It was all a hush hush situation. My mother was shunned for the child she bore inside of her, even though she had no control for what my father did to her. The crime and invasion of her own body that he committed. Causing her own family to leave her, her mother and father no longer wanting to be related to my mother their only blood. . To the point when the month came for my arrival not even a midwife would come to attend my mother in the birth of me. She was truly alone.

So when the night of my birth came mother was alone, in the small barn on the outskirts of the village. the abandoned barn that she found once my grandmother told her to leave. My mother sat on the dirt ground and birthed me, me and my twin sister. My twin being named Dae, for the time that she lasted.  A single soul day. Mother  often talked about how hard it was to keep one child alive in all of the pain and horrid of bearing a child. She didn’t know she had two inside of her. That the horrid man left not only one child inside of her but two. And mother said I was always lucky enough to come first, and Dae to be born second while mother was holding me in shock of the baby that had just appeared.

Mother and I lived our lives shunned. I would sit on the barn steps and glance up at the high castle and always wish my feet would graze upon those steps be a princess, with a guy who would love me, for even at a young age I knew no one would love me. I would end up like my mother most likely. Invaded by a soldier from another kingdom. Yet I still dreamed. Dreamed that I would be a princess. Mother even tried to get people to stop shunning her by naming me something the kingdom would love “Amalia Ivy Harley” Ivy named after the kingdom Ivanna in which I lived and would always live. Amalia took the prized “A” names of the royals, King Allard, Queen Emilina, and their children the princes, Arley and Audric, and the princesses, Abellea, and Alvina. I always longed to marry one of the princes, or become best friends with the princesses. Yet that would never happened,  for I was not even permitted to attend school.

Since I lived a life shunned tho, I knew how to survive so when mother took ill when I was mere six I was able to survive . So by my sixth year of life I was a orphan. Mother didn’t last any longer than Dae, for the illness stroke her and a day later I found her dead. No one not even my grandmother, or the small orphanage opened when the illness and famine stroke wouldn't want me, for I was still shunned. A child of uncourted law.  To make matters even worse, mother was the first that came down with the illness and then the whole kingdom.  No one wanted me. I wished fiercely to be a royal.

I had to find a mean of survival, I found a few elder ladies who would invite me in their home for pity but then they took sick and begin to slowly fade like the rest of the kingdom. I had no one. By then I was only eight. I had no choice I was small and skinny and pale, for in the dead of the night I could easily sneak in and out stealing things I needed. Bread was my main capture. At first I did it for survival but then it became an act of love. The only love I ever knew. You could say I had a love with my mother but it never was a love love at times I knew she hated me for what I had done for her life. So the act and mastery of theft was my life. My love. I would go into the richer homes in the dead of the night steal the finest jewels. Then make the trip to the next kingdom and sell things underground. I continued this for many years even when the famine came to an abrupt  end, and many people no longer appeared at deaths door, I continued to steal it was the love of my life.

I grew a reputation the cunning witch I was called yet no one knew who exactly I was They never did They knew I was wanted a sinful enchanted I was.  One day in the dead of night I saw it the sign threw the small light of the fire I held the etch was my face. and the names Amalia Ivy Harley WANTED. Those words bore in my mind. And it grew a twisted smile upon my face. I was on the run, and stayed that way until my 17th year. Until I fell for a trap.

I never found myself falling for a guy, I had a hatred of any soldiers to be honest. Soldiers being the reason my mother hated me a soldier was one who gave me life. Yet I hated them for it. I began a quest while I was on the run to find my father and kill him. Yet then I met Beval. I was walking one day and I came across him, ran into him to be exact.  I was shocked I was in the middle of nowhere in a field I often crossed to get between kingdoms. He told me his name was Beval I remember my words, “What kind of name is that” He told me it meant “of the wind” I feel quite fond of that. He asked me my name, I never said my name, my name was plastered everywhere I always changed my appearance, but my name I could never change, I was about to lie but something made me say my true name a foolish mistake but I trusted this man. I told him my name was Amalia, he smiled told me it was a beautiful name. I wished my lips to meet his. I was foolish falling for a man.  We met everyday talking until one day I met him and he was not alone guards with swords, and Beval my Beval, saw my look and ran like the wind. He betrayed me. I should of known. He after all was a soldier.  They grabbed me I fought as hard as I could but they were stronger.

My arms and legs were tied as they carried me to the castle steps letting me walk as I realized I was at the castle the castle I always wished to be at. I was the Queen of Deception entering my castle. My love had done me a favour brought me to my dream. They place me in a cell the dull grey I admired. The guard enters the room and carries me to be beheaded. Oh death! I lay a smile on my face, the guards eyeing me marking me a insane, they tell me my crimes a long list, accomplishments I tell myself. For I will go down with history of Ivanna for all I have committed.  The blade falls fast and I think for I never grew into a beautiful princess, I had something better way better, and as the blade hits my skin I realize for I was a villainous queen. My destiny.