YoungBlood | Teen Ink

YoungBlood

By AMNOIR BRONZE, Falling Waters, West Virginia
AMNOIR BRONZE, Falling Waters, West Virginia

“Remember the words you told me, love me till the day I die.” 

Chat Noir landed on the Eiffel Tower with a thud, his cat-like ears were pinned against his mane of messy blonde hair, and his tail dragged across the steel beams as he made his way to the edge of the tower to sit. His legs dangling over the side. Shameful green orbs looking at the bright moon that watches over the Parian city. “What did I do wrong?” He asks still staring at Earth’s natural satellite, he lets out a sigh as the final beep on his ring goes off. Seconds later, his small black cat-like companion appears, complaining about his love hunger for camembert. Adrien Agreste hands over the cheese, still too upset to compliment like he usually would.

“I can’t take it back Plagg. Not this time,” Adrien says completely disappointed with himself. “Snow won’t forgive me if she finds out I kissed Lady Dragonfly. Not like she did last time, last time it was to save Lady Dragonfly. I promised Snow I wouldn’t hurt her, unlike like all those other guys. She’s been through so much already and now...” Adrien doesn’t even attempt to finish the thought, instead he just sighs baring his face in his hands. 

“Adrien. Chill,” says the boys’ kwami. Plagg tosses his camembert into the air and opens his mouth fully, allowing the stinky, pale cheese to slide down his feline throat without chewing. “Maureen’s your ‘Lady’ after all. She’ll forgive you. Just wait.” Adrien sighs one last time before giving in to his thoughts of his and Maureen’s past. 

CN: “Snow, Truth or Dare?” 
M: “Truth.” 
CN: “Are you really truly in love with Jack Frost?” 

“Surrender my everything ‘cause you made me believe you’re mine.” 

That was the question that had started it all. Adrien’s smile grew as he remembered their one game of “Truth or Dare.” It had lasted four hours that night, it was possibly the longest game either of them had ever played. The pair sat on the Parisian trademark and watched the early morning hours finally fade into the first signs of daylight. The young teenagers' mind drifts back to a later discussion during their game. 

M: *Yawns* 
CN: “Snowy, Are you tired?” 
M: “No.” *Yawns again* “Chat, what time is it where you’re at?” 
CN: “Um, let me check...” 
M: “K.” 

**A few minutes later** 

CN: “It’s like 10:30 right now. Why?” 
M: “am or pm?” 
CN: “am.” 
M: “Ah, okay.” *Yawns again* 
CN: “Snowy, what time is it where you’re at?” 
M: “4:30.” 
CN: “am or pm?” 
M: “Not Telling...” *Yawns* 
CN: “I bet it is am.” 

Adrien Agreste’s body fills with a dream like feeling as he remembers how his Snowy Angel tried so hard to hide the fact that she was tired. He remembers how he had admitted that he would have willingly let her go so she could get some sleep, but in the end, she didn’t want to. How Jack had tried to persuade her, failed and asked Chat to help him. And how at the end of it all, it was Chat Noir himself who had promised Maureen that he’d be back at the time the trio had agreed upon. Adrien’s chest tightens as he remembers his reason for coming to the Eiffel Tower in the first place, Adrien lets Plagg replenish his energy and then gives the command to transform. “PLAGG, CLAWS OUT!” After the transformation was complete, the cat-like teenager used his superhuman strength and agility to get to Francoise Dupont High School. 

Maureen reaches Françoise Dupont High School just as the rain starts to pour, stands under the awning, and closes her pitch-black umbrella. She quickly packs it in her bag and heads for Mr. Armand's classroom. Agon peeks out of his partner's coat pocket and while nibbling on a grape sarcastically exclaims: “Oh boy PE! I just love the stinky gym socks and sweat! Nothing like the smell of good old fashion body odor to wake you up in the morning!” Maureen let’s out a half-hearted giggle then quickly orders her Kwami to hide. 

“I hear you A. Now get away from the opening before someone sees you.” Just as she enters the small gymnasium, everyone lines up to head outside to the courtyard. Maureen follows suit, hoping no one notices her tardiness. Lucky, she's successful. Not to long after she starts smelling like a real workout, she hears a familiar swoosh sound and the soft rattle of the chain-linked fence that embraces the perimeter of the courtyard. Maureen abandons her spot and jogs towards her backpack, reaches for her water bottle, and jogs back over towards the fence and the Cat that occupies it. 

“Yeah, you used to call me baby, now you’re calling me by name.” 

“Hey Kitten.” Maureen says with a giggling smile. “What’s up?” When Cat doesn’t say anything, his girlfriend watches carefully as his pinned ears, dragging tail, and the ever-growing frown present that whatever is wrong really bothers him. Right as Maureen was going to say something, Chat Noir opened his mouth, and what followed were his words of heartbreaking disappointment. “I kissed her Snowy. I’m so sorry.” 

Noir looked down, his usual bold and confident structure shrinks to model more of the inner pussy cat that hides underneath his flirty and fearless mask. Maureen face scrunches in traces of confusion as she links her fingers through the holes. “Kissed who, Chaton?” When the famous Parisian superhero looks up again, Maureen's heart breaks in two. Chat Noir voice is barely above a whisper when he speaks again. “Maureen, I kissed Lady Dragonfly and it wasn't to save her either. I don't know what I was thinking, I'm sorry.” Before Maureen even has a chance to explain, Chat Noir jumps up and uses the roofs of Parisian houses for cover as he makes his way back to Agreste Mansion. 

“Takes one to know one, yeah. You beat me at my own d**n game.” 

“Come on Chat Noir, where are you?” Lady Dragonfly questions the air as she lands on a roof to survey the damage of another one of Hawkmoth's victims. Just as she was about to call again, her partner in crime appears beside her. Silently awaiting his partners' orders. “Chat, I need you to distract her for as long as you can. In the meantime, I’ll try and locate where the Akuma is.’ Noir nods and starts to head in the young villain's direction, but Lady stops him by holding him firmly by his belt-like tail. The feline super looks back with and mixture of hatred and confusion. 

“You push and you push and I'm pulling away. Pulling away from you. 
I give and I give, and I give, and you take, give and you take.” 

Just as he was about to growl a rather distasteful ‘What.’ Dragonfly spoke. “Cat. Is everything okay? You seem – there was a considerate pause before she spoke again, one that was possibly held for far too long - distracted.” Cat gives Lady a look that tells her she’s partly to blame for his overhanging mood. Cat takes a leap down from the rooftop onto the street all the while, simultaneously running and extending his baton to strike his target. “Can you at least tell me what I did to cause the problem?” Drags asks as she uses her weapon to swing around the victim and occasionally block Black Widows’ blows as she searches for Hawkmoth’s device of control. 

“Youngblood! 
Say you want me, say you want me 
Out of your life.” 

Chat Noir blocks two upper-cuts, slides underneath his opponent, and makes two equally powerful attacks of his own before standing and commenting over his shoulder. “You know exactly why,” Chat snarls before Lady Dragonfly and Chat Noir are forced to stand back-to-back as Black Widow corners them for their Miraculousoues. Lady’s mind races back to that day Chat Noir had kissed her. She lets the thought linger before she forces the earlier conversation, she had with Cat while she was in civilian form. “Oh...” 

“And I'm just a dead man walking tonight.” 

Lady’s faces blushes blood red as her other partner – Ladybug – yells for the location of the evil butterfly. “Yeah. Oh.” Her masked partner mocks disappointedly just before telling Ladybug that the Akuma is in their victim's whip. Ladybug lands behind the trio's target. She leads the teenager farther away, hides behind a wall of a nearby building, and calls out the phrase to active her secret weapon. “LUCKY CHARM!!” While Lady Dragonfly and Chat Noir wait for their companion’s next move, Dragonfly swallows hard, and gathers the courage to tell Cat what really happened. 

“ But you need it, yeah, you need. All of the time. 
Yeah, ooh-ooh-ooh.” 

Before that can happen though, Black Widow's whip cracks through the air. “Lady Dragonfly, look out!” Chat Noir yells as he pushes the Lady in Black out of the way. Lady sits up and rubs her head with a groan, just in time to see Chat Noir freeze from getting hit by the paralyzing whip. “Noooo!” Lady Dragonfly screams into the night. Without knowing it, Dragonfly pulls out her own Whip. Blindly lead by too many emotions to just name one, Lady Drags wraps her weapon around Black Widow's legs and pulls hard enough to cause the akumatized villain to trip and release the Weapon that had paralyzed her partner. 

“Youngblood! 
Say you want me, say you want me. 
Back in your life.” 

Lady Dragonfly walks over to the Whip of the akumatized victim and tries to break it, oblivious to the tears starting to form at the corners of her dragonfly-like eyes. Too upset to realize that she could use her Secret Weapon to easily destroy the akumatized object, she gives out a cry of desperation. Ladybug kneels down besides her, and hands Drags the object her Lucky Charm revealed. “Here, try this.” Ladybug says calmly, while resting a spotted red and black hand on Lady Drags’ shoulder. With newly found confidence, Dragonfly greatly accepts the bolt-cutters, and snaps the handle of Black Widow's whip in two. Ladybug wastes no time in saying her famous de-evilizing phase and finishing it off with her signature trademark. “Bye-Bye, Little Butterfly.” The spotted Lady waves after it, right before shouting, “Miraculous Ladybug!” to fix everything that had been destroyed in another one of Hawkmoth's attempts. 

“So I'm just a dead man crawling tonight 
‘Cause I need it, yeah, I need it 
All of the time Yeah, ooh-ooh-ooh.” 

Chat Noir groans a little in pain as the paralyzing effects finally start to wear off. Rubbing his head, Chat Noir quickly becomes surprised as he's greeted back with a tackling hug from his one and only Lady. “Woah! Easy Drags,” Chat says warmly. “It's not like you’re my Lady or anything.” At this, Lady Dragonfly backs up. Slightly hurt by his words. “Well, I hate to be a buzz kill, but I’m about to transform back.” Ladybug says, as her Earrings beep for the third time. “I'll catch you guys later.” She says with a wave as she yo-yos to safety. 

"And I'm just a dead man walking tonight."

Neither Chat Noir or Lady Dragonfly speaks for some time until after Lady’s ring gives off its second-to-last beep. Lady Dragonfly helps her feline partner up, before speaking. “Chaton, I am your Lady.” Chat Noir looks at his Partner of Darkness in shock as she steps closer to him. “What do you mean?” Lady Dragonfly steps back as her ring finally gives off its last warning. “Lady Dragonfly, we can't know each other's identities!” Squeaks Chat as he closes his eyes and Lady Dragonfly transforms with a medium flash of purple, back into her Civilian form. Maureen giggles a familiar laugh that makes Cat close his eyes even tighter. “Kiddy, open your eyes. We wouldn't be knowing each other's identities, you would just be knowing mine.” Chat peeks at this, knowing that she has a point. Noir’s green orbs grow as he realizes that he had kissed his Lady. And without any second thought, scoops her up and does it again. And this time, he doesn't pull away. 

One Shot - DragNoir X Noireen