Alternate Ending: Lord of the Flies | Teen Ink

Alternate Ending: Lord of the Flies

By Tabansi BRONZE, JACKSON, New Jersey
Tabansi BRONZE, JACKSON, New Jersey

Ralph rolled out onto the beach where the water meets the sand. All he could do was pray to God that something would save him - a ship, a plane, a helicopter, anything. He looked up and saw nothing but the blue sky.

The savages rushed toward Ralph. He did not run or try to fight. He knew his fate and could only embrace it. He lay on the sand and waited. Jack stood over Ralph with a satisfied grin on his face. He turned and faced his Hunters.

"Everyone! This is what we've waited for all day. We will all get a chance to pick at him. But the officials go first! Me, then Roger, then everyone can sort out the order for themselves!" He turned back to Ralph. "Any last words?"

Ralph looked up to Jack and motioned for him to come closer. Jack leaned down only to have Ralph spit in his face. Almost immediately after, Jack thrust his spear into Ralph's neck. His blood flowed freely and rapidly. And finally, once he lay in a pool of his own blood, he was no more.

Jack and his tribe screamed at the top of their lungs and rejoiced. They were now the only tribe on the island. Roger walked up to the fresh kill and stuck his spear into Ralph's forehead. He moved out of the way and the rest of the tribe rushed toward the dead body.

Jack walked away and thought. He had just burned down the entire island, what is he to do? There were no more pigs or fruit. What would they eat? How would they bathe? Drink? He cast his worries aside. He'd cross that bridge when he came to it. He turned around and watched his tribe murder Ralph once more.

Suddenly, he realized what Ralph and Piggy were telling him was true. He didn't think ahead. He had no rules. As a result, they just became another brutal, violent tribe of Neanderthals. He was suddenly struck with guilt and felt sick to his stomach.

He sat down on a nearby rock and thought about what had just happened. Then, what had happened to Simon and Piggy. He couldn't hold it any longer and he let the tears flow. Robert noticed him and ran towards him.

"You ok, chief?" he asked.

Jack looked up with his bloodshot eyes and looked back down.

"Guessing that's a no."

Robert let Jack cry for a few more minutes and then he looked back up.

"This is all wrong, Robert. What have we become? Savages. We killed these three boys for what? Nothing. People shouldn't live like this." said Jack.

"Well, what do you propose we do, then?"

"We can't do anything. If we turn on them, they'll kill us. But we can't keep living this way."

"I guess we just have to suck it up, then."

Just then, a ship was stopped on the edge of the beach. A man dressed in an elegant uniform gets off the ship and examines his surroundings. He sees the huddle of boys and walks towards them. He walks to the center and walks out, vomiting. He looked towards Jack and Robert and walked towards them as the rest of the tribe tended back to their body.

"Are you chief?" he asked Robert.

Robert pointed to Jack and stated that Jack was.

"We were told to check out the island because of the fire and smoke. Can you tell me what happened here?"

Jack started and didn't stop until every grizzly detail had been said. The captain sat here, attentively listening to Jack's story. Robert stood by Jack's side, correcting him when something wrong was said.

"Well...you've been through quite a lot." said the captain.

Jack nodded.

"You do realize I'm going to have to take you into custody?"

Jack nodded again.

The captain was surprised. "I've never met a boy as noble as you."

"The only reason I'm being understanding is because I know I'm going to get a death sentence when I get home." responded Jack.

"There's no guarantee of that..." the captain said.

"Well, I hope I do. I do not wish to live anymore with these actions on my conscience."

The captain got up and walked back to his ship. Roger raced to Jack, an angry look on his face.

"What did you tell him!?" demanded Roger.

"I told him what he wanted to know." answered Jack. "He said you and I are to be put on trial when we get home."

"We're not going home! We're staying here!"

"Says you! I'm chief and you will follow my orders!"

At this statement, Roger stabbed Jack right in his mouth, penetrating through the back of his head.

Roger turned back to everyone else.

"No! The tribe belongs to me!"

i was tasked with a project about "Lord of the Flies" in my English class. I chose to write an alternate ending. I thought it was pretty good, so I thought I'd post it.

lotf said...
Can i use this

mlynch BRONZE said...
mlynch BRONZE, Summit, New Jersey

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why they call it present."

This was really good!!! I really liked this story!!! Keep writing!!! If you have time, could you please check out my story "Just Like My Mother"? Please rate and comment on it cause I need all the feedback I can get!!! Good job!!

Tabansi BRONZE said...
Tabansi BRONZE, JACKSON, New Jersey
Thanks! And I read some of your stuff and I really like it!

Tabansi BRONZE said...
Tabansi BRONZE, JACKSON, New Jersey
Thank you! I really appreciated it!

WritingSpasms, Los Angeles, California

"Devils run when a good man goes to war."
- River Song from Doctor Who (Ep. A Good Man Goes to War)

This is amazing, and very well written. I've always pictured Robert as the silent killer, and the ending really emphasized that.

SilentlyRising GOLD, Decatur, Georgia

"My pen is the barrel of the gun. Remind me which side you should be on."

Whoa.  Just, whoa.  I did so NOT see that ending coming.  You wrote a great ending.  It would also open up to another book, but I think that that ending would leave the reader's imagination to think up the rest.  Great job.  Check out some of my work if you get the time.