King Lear's Most Faithful Rebel | Teen Ink

King Lear's Most Faithful Rebel

By gummybearrevolution SILVER, Scarborough, Other
gummybearrevolution SILVER, Scarborough, Other

"Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" -Dumbledore

"It needs to be about 20% cooler." -Dashie

O, my lord, speak not in such a manner, or I shall be forced to speak against you as I have always tried to keep myself from doing. For years I have served you, King Lear, and for years have I kept this oft-outspoken mouth shut to thy foolishness, but strike not fair Cordelia with thy passionate words, or I will rebuke thee. “…my sometime daughter?” How now, your majesty? And do not stop my reprimands; they are misunderstood in their entirety. All I mean to say is that thy daughters do not love thee in accordance to their ages, but that daughter Cordelia loves you more than any daughter did, and, I reckon, more honestly. No disrespect do I mean, but thine hours grow thin, and in turn thy judgement, my lord, and so it is my duty to speak on behalf of she, the object of thine aggression. I shall accept any retribution for my insolence, hear only my pleas; listen, my lord, to reason and scorn not those who love you most.

This is my interpretation of Kent, of King Lear's thoughts in the court of the King as he stands up for the King's until-recently beloved daughter, Cordelia.