Hedwig's Theme | Teen Ink

Hedwig's Theme

By EmmaMayWang GOLD, Pelham, Alabama
EmmaMayWang GOLD, Pelham, Alabama

"It is art, and art only, that reveals us to ourselves."
- Oscar Wilde

A blast of green light lit the darkness of the night, heading straight towards Harry Potter.
A screech.
A pure white owl fell to the floor of the cage.
  “No—NO! Hedwig—Hedwig—”
  But the body was dead, only the spirit lingered on, longing.
  The owl’s soul floated in midair. She didn’t’ want to leave her only friend.
  She watched as Harry yelled to the hairy man in front of him, “Hagrid, we’ve got to go back, we’ve got to go back! Hagrid, TURN AROUND!”
  “My job’s ter get you there safe, Harry!”
  The black haired boy hugged her cage, shaking it, as if by doing so he wake her from the endless darkness people like to call death.
  She could see a crystal tear form in the pure green eyes of Harry Potter, falling, as if in slow motion, into her feathers. One drop, then two.
  Her white feathers dotted red by the blood and tears streaming down from Harry’s face.
  You should go. A cold harsh voice sounded out behind her.
  But she didn’t want to go.
  She wanted to drift there, forever, always watching over Harry.
  Hagrid pulled at Harry, just like two years ago when Lupin did at Sirius’ death.
  Was she that important to Harry? As important as a friend then? He was her only friend, but that isn’t necessarily the same backwards.
  The owl’s tears, mixed with blood, dripped into the never ending darkness, like a blood-red butterfly.
  Flying, leaping in the cool midnight air…

Hedwig floated in the sky, gazing at a none too familiar building.
  There, wizards, witches, elves and Centaurs surrounded a black haired boy, shouting, clapping him on the back, laughing happily.
  That boy was Harry Potter, her owner, her friend.
  She always guarded him. Always.
  Hedwig couldn’t fathom her feelings at that exact moment. Elation and pain battled for dominance. Her recollections of nipping Harry’s ear, delivering mail, pretending to be pissed off at the small quantity of food Harry managed to provide at his aunt and uncle’s flooded every single one of her brain cells. Her chest felt heavy, as if a thousand owls were beating their wings against it. Pain had apparently won the battle.
  She lifted her head and screeched to the night, letting out all of her emotions to the moon. The screech was long and filled with pain.
  Hedwig spread her wings, soaring towards her long-parted friend. She landed softly on Harry’s shoulder, wing feathers brushing slightly against his face, and pecked at his ear affectionately.
  Harry turned around and stared directly into her eyes. Amber eyes met green, though in the latter, nothing seemed to be reflected within.
  “Hedwig…”
  It came out like a whisper, she could almost mistake it for the wisp of the wind. It was soft, softer than she heard him ever say her name.
  The owl turned back into the night, never glancing back.
  Just like a year ago, she couldn’t refrain the tears from spilling out of her eyes…

If you ever loved Hedwig, this is for you...

EmmaMayWang GOLD, Pelham, Alabama

- Oscar Wilde

Thank you very much Ciana!

CianaB GOLD said...
CianaB GOLD, Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
I'm a major Harry Potter fan and I love this!!!!!