Stamp of Approval | Teen Ink

Stamp of Approval

newest_member_of_tbhc SILVER, Salem, Ohio

"Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."

It was nine o'clock on a particularly cloudy night. Jackson had left six hours ago, and wasn’t coming back.

“He’s the only person who understands me,” Jackson screamed across the room.

“But I’m your mother. How can you say that,” his mother tried to calm him.

“You’re right. But even you can’t accept me. You kicked me out when I told you I was in love with Sam, and you only invited me back because of the money Grandma left me!”

“That’s not true, hon-” She was cut off by Jackson’s angry tone.

“Stop lying! I-it doesn’t matter, because I’m going. I’m 20 years old, Sam is 21. We love each other, and we’ll be fine on our own. You have done nothing but put me down since I was 13 and since Grandma is gone, Sam is the only protection from you that I have. I’m leaving, Mother. I never want you to forget that you did this,” Jackson said, near spitting. He storms out of the house, and never looks back.

Now alone, his mother sits and picks up a photo album. She flips to a picture from Jackson’s thirteenth birthday party.

“I want a rainbow party! And unicorns,” Jackson bounces in his seat.

His mom tilts her head, “Well, honey, wouldn’t you rather have, say blue, with characters from your video games?”

“Why mom?”

She approaches the statement cautiously, “Rainbows and unicorns, well, they’re usually for girls.”

Jackson scrunches his nose, “I don’t like girls. I like boys.”

“What do you mean,” his mother asks him, alarmed. “Do you think girls are cute?”

“Ew. No, boys are cute, Mom. I- I think I’m gay,” Jackson admits with a grin.

“Oh my,” she says with a frown.

She pulls herself out of the trance, as the front door opens. Jackson enters, followed by Sam.

“Mom, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it. Sam told me how childish I was being, and he’s right. I’m sorry if I hurt you,” Jackson says with his arms held out.

“I’m sorry too. I could have been more up front with you. I’ve always accepted you. I was just afraid for your safety. I love you, honey. And you too, Sam,” she says smiling, pulling them both in for a hug.

“I love you, Mom,”

This was originally an assignment for my creative writing class (to do characterization through dialogue), but I liked it a lot and wanted to share it :)