Neither Hannah Nor Nina, It's Hannina | Teen Ink

Neither Hannah Nor Nina, It's Hannina

By aamjad GOLD, Getzville, New York
aamjad GOLD, Getzville, New York

"Knowledge won't come to you. You will only get knowledge if you learn and understand it"
(Ayesha Amjad)

I walked towards my mirror to see my reflection of tall, thin, gorgeous Nina; with her forest green eyes, long coal black eyelashes, rose pink lips, and snow white teeth. Her long wavy blond hair lay down her back till her waist. She wore a bright green top along with a glittery green mini skirt and golden heels. I sighed as I admired myself in the mirror. “You gorgeous girl are worth greater,” I pointed to the mirror. Along with my marvelous looks, I was a straight-A student. Sure I’d get B’s from time to time but ninety-nine percent of the time I got A’s. 

I preferred to live an introverted life, but with my amazing qualities, it was almost impossible to do. I was the president of the seniors in high school, and the president of many other clubs. I volunteered at hospitals, charity organizations, and at libraries. My good looks and intelligence increase my popularity at school. As introverted as I was, to someone else I’d look like an extrovert. Although I was popular I had only one friend, Hannah. Hannah had been my friend from the first day of pre-school and is still my friend today. On the first day of preschool during play time, I sat all by myself in a corner drawing my family. Hannah came over and started to draw her family. While she did she talked non-stop about herself. She continuously asked questions about me. At the end of the day, she told me that I was her best friend.

Like me, Hannah was also gorgeous; with her sky blue eyes, long coal black eyelashes, petunia pink lips, and star-white teeth. She wore her chocolate brown hair out up to the half of her back, with Korean-style bangs. Hannah too was a straight-A student and was more extroverted. Where in areas I was unable to speak she filled in for me. We were always together. Alone we were no one.

Other students only stayed by our side to get a fraction of the spotlight. But in reality, they were jealous and made nasty comments behind our backs and on social media. Hannah was active on social media. Whenever there was a nasty comment she’d fire another back which would keep them quiet for a few days but they’d come back with another one and the whole cycle started over again.

I glanced at the mirror once more. Today the student council was holding a bake sale at school and I had to look my best. Last night I baked brownies for the bake sale. I grabbed my backpack, plus the brownies, and fled my room. “Bye, Mom bye dad love you!” I yelled.

“Goodbye sweetheart, love you too!” My parents yelled back. I walked out to the yellow fire hydrant. Hannah was already there glaring at her iPhone 14 Pro. “Hi, Hannah!”

“Hey, Nina!”

“Why are you glaring like that?”

“It is Ruby’s ‘smarty-pants’ attitude. She thinks she’s smarter than everyone.”

“Hannah ignore it; don’t give her heed. The more attention you give the more she’ll come back.”

“I know Nina but she said…” Hannah paused mid-sentence as her phone chimed ping! Her face turned white and then suddenly flushed in anger. “That coward has that much courage! How dare she suggest such nonsense!” Honk. Honk. The school bus arrived and we hopped into the front seat. 

I grabbed Hannah’s phone. Ruby’s first text wrote: ‘Nina only is pretty and smart to get the boys' attention. She’s a sl*t! She gets all the attention from everyone just to have everyone’s support so if she does something unlawful or immoral she’ll have their support.’ Those words hurt like daggers in flesh. How could anyone be so mean? I knew I had to ignore it, she was only doing it to hurt me. She knew it was wrong. She was just jealous. I held my tears back, I couldn’t ruin my makeup. I scrolled down to Hannah’s reply: ‘You jealous freak! You know that’s not true! You just want to ruin her reputation and take her place. Just so you know you’re destroying your own future.’

“Hannah, you shouldn’t be so harsh. You should’ve just forgiven her and ignored it.”

“Nina you can’t leave a girl like her like that. She’ll be after you for life. She’ll never change. I’ll never forgive her.” Hannah then attempted to grab her phone but I held it back.

“I know you won’t tell me what happened. I’m going to read it myself. I deserve every right to know.” Hannah sighed and gave in. Her expression looked like she’d rather have me not read it for my own protection. But I knew I could handle it. I scrolled down to Ruby’s second text: ‘I’m not destroying, I'm making mine. My future is better than hers. There’s no room for jealousy in my heart, only yours. You guys know that I’m better. You’re lucky I put up with it for so long. I’ll show you in front of the whole school at the football field; who really deserves the spotlight.’

“May I have it back now?”

I handed her phone back, “We’ll inform the principal about this. It’ll all be over soon.”

Hannah looked at me jaw dropping and eyes popped open like I just told her I was going to come to school dressed up as a clown, “No no no! Ruby will be on our backs for sure then. We’ll go. I’ll show her what happens when you try to ruin someone’s reputation. I’ll ruin her’s instead.”

“Easy easy Hannah. We can tell the principal about that as well.”

“NO NO NO NO NO NINA! You don’t understand what a bully she is. Those types of bullies do anything. Anything for revenge to restore honor.”

“Hannah you may be right about that. But our teachers and principal have always taught us to tell an adult or someone you trust when you’re bullied. They’ll handle the rest. It’s our job to tell.”

“Fine. But we have to go or she’ll make rumors that won’t leave in a snap.”

“Deal.”

Once we were at school I walked over to where we had set up our bake sale stand. The other members had arrived early to help set up. There were various types of pastries on the table such as chocolate chip cookies, chocolate and vanilla cupcakes, chocolate chip and blueberry muffins, chocolate and vanilla cake pops, plus my brownies. We all got settled into our positions. 

James, the council’s treasurer, sat near the money box. He was a great lad, always respectful and responsible for his duties. Always the first one to participate. It was why so many chose him to be treasurer. James, like me, was also a senior. He had jet-black hair and hazel eyes with thin pink lips. To add to his handsomeness, he even had small orange freckles under his eyes and over his nose. Every girl, including myself, thought he was cute.

Hannah was the council’s secretary. She stood next to James flipping her chocolate hair while having a conversation smiling flirtatiously. I rolled my eyes. Although I thought James was cute, I had no feelings for him. Other girls would do anything to be in Hannah’s spot right now.

Sebastian, the council’s vice president, stood next to me on my left. He too was a senior. He had wavy thick brown hair with eyes such a dark shade of brown that they looked black. Staring at those eyes when he was in a bad mood was like him staring into your soul. He had olive skin with tan lips. He had a huge smile with his teeth shining every day. Whoever saw it had to smile back. I knew it made my day when I was in a bad mood. But to high school popularity standards, he was a nerd. Sure he was extremely smart, but genuinely friendly too. Once you got to know him you’d be grateful to have met him. Though not many people thought that. To most students, there was a halo labeled nerd on his head. So Sebastian didn’t have many friends.

The other members left their baked goods and went to their first class. It was still passing time so many students came to stop by for a treat. 

So far we were doing well. We had raised over fifty dollars within minutes. But to ruin our enjoyment. Ruby came along with her sidekicks Evelyn and Mason. Ruby had black hair gray eyes and cherry red lips with bright white teeth. Ruby was a senior. Although she was pretty popular as well, she didn’t have excellent grades or volunteer everywhere like I did. Her best grade was a B.

Evelyn was Ruby’s younger sister. She too had black hair grey eyes and cherry red lips with bright white teeth. But she had freckles under her eyes, over her nose, and on her forehead. Evelyn was a sophomore. Ever since her freshman year, she joined her sister’s group. Evelyn was always in Ruby’s shadow. Never shared the spotlight with her sister. I always wondered why she stayed in her shadow. She never gave any expression as she loved it. Every time I saw her with Ruby bullying or being mean to someone she had a sympathetic look on her face. I wonder why she even did join her sister. Was it by force? Blackmail?

Mason was Ruby’s bestfriend. He had orange hair brown eyes and pink lips. He had little freckles going over his nose, under his eyes, and cheeks. He was a senior. Sure he’d tease a lot of people, but he knew where the limit was. Like Evelyn, he remained in Ruby’s shadow with a sympathetic look on his face.

“Hey, Cinderella! Did you make these desserts just for me? Aww, how kind of you,” Ruby laughed.

“Leave her alone you horrendous b*tch!” Hannah scowled.

“Easy, Hannah. That’s way too raspy,” I told Hannah.

“Yes, Hannah be easy. You’re the one who’s jealous Hannah. Your best friend has everything you could dream of. But do you? Of course not. But she’s your best friend you wouldn’t want to let her down so you stay quiet about that,” Ruby smirked.

“Ruby you know that’s not true. Could you both stop quarreling and forgive each other already?” I asked.

“First of all, you shouldn’t even be speaking. You know what I’ll prove it right here. Don’t wait for the football field. You’re a sl*t, a b*tch, a traitor, and so many others. YOU. ARE. NOT. WORTH. ANYTHING. All those dreams you have put in the trash. I’m better than you. You know that. I’m more popular, I have 4,000 followers on Instagram. I’m so beautiful that I’m going to be a beauty model. But you? Pft. You’re going to be a custodian.”

I sighed. I didn’t know what to do but ignored her. I knew I couldn’t leave it like this I had to get someone. Hannah was already firing up again, “YOU AREN’T WORTH ANYTHING! You will be a garbage dispenser.” The two continued to insult each other. I ran for help; things were getting out of control. I knew if I left Hannah would be out of control. But if I stayed then I would do nothing.

I noticed our principal talking to a staff member. “Mr. McFeele, you have to come it’s urgent,” I cried. At the tone of my voice, he ran after me to see the chaos.

“STOP THIS VERY INSTANT!” Mr. McFeele yelled.

The room went silent, “Mr. McFeele you see Hannah here was…” Ruby stammered.

“Silence! Ruby and Hannah, I’m very disappointed in you both. The two of you will have ISS for a week.”

Ruby and Hannah gaped in shock. ISS was probably the last thing that could think of. I hadn’t realized that Hannah would also get in trouble. But I guess from here she’d learn her lesson to control her temper.

This was an assignment to write a story about characters who couldn't be one without the other. I also had to use six-word memoirs. As you can see the title is a six-word memoir and so are some of the dialogues.