Two Years Old and Holding | Teen Ink

Two Years Old and Holding

By patientkindbalancedfine BRONZE, New York, New York
patientkindbalancedfine BRONZE, New York, New York

"Things do not change; we change."

"Cake." Alice points to the birthday cake and then to herself, and proceeds to repeat--for the sixth time--"Cake."
"Okay, honey, you're going to have to wait while Mommy cuts it," Alice's mother says, frazzled but happy for her daughter's birthday.
"No, Alice wants cake now!" Alice kicks and shouts, and begins to cry. Her mother rushes over and begins hush her, soothe her. "It's okay sweetie, Mommy's here."
The whining stops and finally the cake is served. Chocolate with butter cream icing, Alice's long-time favorite.
As soon as Alice's mother sits the plate in front of Alice, Alice leans forward and puts her face right in the cake. "Look mommy," she giggles. "Look what i did!"
Her mother sighs, but smiles, her eyes softening.
"Oh Alice! Always my silly girl."
Alice coos at this, babbles nonsense.
Presents are opened, songs are sung. Time for goodbyes. Alice's mother is exhausted, but has grown used to the birthday parties. She thanks the guests, and sits down on the couch, her old bones aching.
"Bye Alice," the last guest says, waving to Alice and her mom. "Happy 37th birthday."

Tessa Isis-Bahoosh BRONZE, Rockport, Maine
Wow.  That's intense.  My mother has spent a lot of her life working with disabled adults, so this hits close to home.

"Things do not change; we change."

Thank you.

It was just something that I was thinking about, the lives of people who are disabled, and also their families. It was really just a quick thing I thought out...but it turned into something much more.

Thanks again :)

893201501 said...
893201501, Calgary, Other

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Dr. Seuss

Powerful. Extremely, excruciatingly powerful. Wow... Where did you get this idea?