She's Not What I'd Call Normal | Teen Ink

She's Not What I'd Call Normal

March 4, 2010
By enchanted4yu PLATINUM, Calabasas, California
enchanted4yu PLATINUM, Calabasas, California
24 articles 0 photos 103 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon"


She wears short skirts that reveal tanned legs and low cut shirts over her flat abs only because she wants attention. She raises her hand with unpainted fingernails in class and gets fabulous grades only because she is a braniac. She draws heartfelt, meaningful art only because she is depressed. She sees a therapist regularly only because she is insane and suffers from some sort of disease. She skips a meal or two or was it three could it have been four because she is anorexic and obsessed with her looks. She makes unknown sounds in the restroom only because she is bulimic and has no self respect. She has red, disgusting acne only because she has bad hygiene and doesn’t care enough to wear make up. Who is she? A series of lies and stereotypes. In reality, she wears revealing clothing so nobody judges her for her innocence or calls her prude. And she raises her hand to keep her good grades to not lose her scholarship. Because of all her studying, she skips girly activities like painting her nails. Yet people have the tenacity to call her emo for expressing her self in vibrant reds and charcoal black and excelling artistically. She sees a therapist because her peers exile her to darkness and a motherly, kind therapist keeps her from going off the edge. This young woman skips meals so her parents may use her lunch money for rent and groceries and her older brother’s medical bills. She cries about it through the thin walls of the bathroom stalls. Her classmates think her sobs are sounds of retching so they gossip about her behind her back and soon she is without friends. Her acne is a result of stress, because everyone prejudges her and the world is cold. How can one think about buying make up when one barely has enough cash to buy hi-liters? No matter what others chose to say about her, I believe she is perfectly normal in a world of animosity.


The author's comments:
I see stereotypes and I see pain. Let's all overcome both