Kinda Like Anthrax | Teen Ink

Kinda Like Anthrax

By PrincessPineapple GOLD, Chesapeake, Virginia
PrincessPineapple GOLD, Chesapeake, Virginia

"To love someone is to learn the song that is in their heart, and sing it to them when they have forgotten." ~unknown

Andrew wasn’t usually one to stand out. He wore jeans and a T-shirt everyday and rarely spoke up in class. He was usually content to be part of the background. But today, he started a revolution. He approached her locker before school started one Monday morning. “Hey, Darcy,” he said, gazing into her eyes, looking beyond her caked on makeup and thick black eyeliner, “Are you busy Friday night?”

She glanced up at him with her usual emotionless expression. “I’m not going to the dance with you.” Her voice was blunt. Her black, baggy cargo pants swished as she walked away.
* * *

Jennifer wore rainbow legwarmers and had her hair in a ponytail on top of her head. She ignored the awkward stares and whispers as she walked down the hallway. She dressed like this everyday, so she was used to it. But Andrew, she noted, wasn’t. She had harbored a thing for him for quite some time now, so today was going to be the day she asked him to the Valentine’s Day Dance. He was standing at Darcy’s locker, watching her walk away, which was odd. She had never taken Darcy to be Andrew’s type.

She decided to take a chance on him anyways. “Hey Andrew!” she called down the hallway. Everyone stared at her. She didn’t mind. She walked up to him and said, “Want to go to the dance with me Friday? Maybe afterwards we can go to this class my dad teaches that combines creative writing and how to fight off the rainbow monkeys, if we ever get attacked…”

Andrew cast one last glance after Darcy, who was now pretty far away, looked back at Jennifer, and said, “Sure. Why not?”
* * *
Darcy walked quickly away from Andrew, praying Kevin hadn’t overheard their conversation and be mistaken enough to think she actually was busy Friday. She wasn’t- she just didn’t wan to go to the dance with Andrew. He wasn’t… sensitive enough to be a proper counterpart to her abrasiveness. Kevin, however, was. She had often seen him crying in a dark corner somewhere and it made her want to comfort him. The only person she had ever wanted to comfort. Usually she just didn’t care. But Kevin, he was different. She knew he like Emily, the school nerd-girl, but she hoped if he knew she was an option, he’d at least consider her.
She approached him, sitting in his usual dark corner, his black hair swept over to one side, and his snake bite piercings glinting in what little light there was in his corner. “Kevin?” she asked.
“hmm?” his voice was soft, compared to her rough one.
“Want to go to the dance with me Friday?” Darcy was hyperaware of the fact that Emily was across the cafeteria, looking very, very interested in the school quarterback, David. And she was hyperaware of the fact that Kevin was hyperaware of that. Kevin looked up at her. He looked sad, over the loss of Emily, he knew. He had given up on her. “Alright,” He said.
“I know you like Emily,” Darcy said, “But, just… thanks for giving me a chance.”
* * *

Kevin sat in his usual dark corner, watching Emily, the girl of his dreams, from across the cafeteria. She wanted David, and he knew that. He had to get over her… just then Darcy approached him. He barely heard what she was saying. He looked up at her and realized she wanted to got to the dance with him. Darcy… hmm… he thought. Would it be wrong, when he was still crying over Emily? So what if it was, he thought. They both would be happier this way.
* * *

Eric had dyed half of his hair brown and the other half black. He liked the attention, so he ripped three holes in is shirt and wore bright yellow jeans. He also like Emily, the school geek girl, whom most guys would have been embarrassed to admit they liked. But Eric? Nothing embarrassed him. He walked up to Emily, pausing for a moment to realize she looked upset, the kept coming at her.

“Do you have a Valentine, miss?”
* * *
Emily walked up to David, and she felt a million butterflies in her stomach. “David,” she called out, so quietly he couldn’t hear her, then called out again. He turned around. “Do… um.. y-you.. h-happen to h-have a d-date to the d-dance?” her taped glasses slid down her nose and she pushed them back up. David looked at her kaki pants pulled up to her ribcage and he polo shirt with an odd kindness.
“No, honey, I don’t. but… I’m looking for someone a lot different from you. I’m sorry…”
Oh. Of course, he meant the blonde, perfect cheerleader type. Emily turned away, trying not to cry. She snorted when she cried, and it was embarrassing. “Do you have a valentine, miss?” came a voice form behind her.
She turned around to see Eric, the school nut job. Half his hair was dyed brown, and the other half was dyed black. His t-shirt was falling apart, and his jeans were bright yellow.
“no,” she said.
“Do you want one?” he asked putting his arm around her. She looked up at him and saw in his eyes true caring.
“Ok,” she agreed.
* * *
Amanda walked up to Nicholas. “Hey Nick,” she said. No one ever called him Nick. He was too dorky to have merited a nickname. He slammed his locker shut, and from somewhere inside came the sound of a star-wars light saber turning off.
“hey, Amanda,” Nicholas replied. She was surprised he knew her name. She was totally average, in every way.
“Do you want to go to the dance with me Friday?” she blurted out. People stopped and laughed that’s he wanted to go with an acne ridden sci-fi obsessed, straight A student.
Nicholas glanced at Sarah, the popular cheerleader, who had a rep for being mean. “Can I get back to you?” he asked, then quickly ducked away.
* * *
Nicholas hurried away from Amanda. He desperately wanted to got o the dance with Sarah, and he just had to ask her. If Amanda could ask him, he could ask Sarah. He was happily surprised to see her run out of the cafeteria, screaming profanity loudly at someone inside.
“You!” she said, “Dork-boy! Go to the dance with me Friday!”
He though this would have been his dream come true… but it wasn’t. “No,” he said, “I don’t think I will.” He hurried back to his locker, where Amanda was still waiting confusedly. “Yes, I’ll go to the dance with you, Amanda,” He said. She smiled.
* * *

Sarah stopped in the bathroom to make sure her makeup was on perfectly. It had to be of course. She was bout to a approach her soon to be boyfriend about the upcoming dance. As Cheer Captain and Quarterback, they were practically obliged to go tot the dance together. “Hey David,” she said, once she entered the cafeteria, batting her eyelashes flirtatiously.

“Oh. Hi,” he said, sounding rather disinterested.

“So, do you have a date to the dance yet?” she said, boldly, batting her eyelashes even more and standing very close to him.

“No,” he said, “but I’m looking for someone a lot different than you. I’m sorry…”

Sarah stormed out of the cafeteria screaming every cuss word she knew at him. She had to find someone to make him jealous…
* * *

David was confused. A bunch of girls had asked him to the dance, but he just wasn’t interested… then he saw Daniel standing across the cafeteria and his heart stopped. What was wrong with him? But the little voice inside him told him something very single cheesy inspirational movie already had… “Follow your heart.” So he did. He called out across the cafeteria, “Hey Daniel!”
* * *

Daniel wasn’t about convention. He wore bands around his head and bell bottom jeans. He loved indie music, and he had known he was gay for quite some time now. He was surprised but happy when he heard David’s voice calling out across the cafeteria.

“Hey, Daniel!”

David walked up to him.

“Want to go to the dance Friday?” they both said at the same time.

“Sure,” they both replied in unison again.
* * *
Love is in the air, Kinda like anthrax.

thanks so much! i really appreciate your interest in my writing. its very encouraging :)

Dan Paolillo said...
Dan Paolillo, Long Valley, New Jersey

hey its dan 

i really liked the twist in this one and the connection of higschool loves to anthrax waiting eagerly for more!

thanks so much!

DaniW PLATINUM said...
DaniW PLATINUM, New Bern, North Carolina

People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within.
By Elisabeth Kuebler-Ross

I liked the ending. it showed you really can't judge or stereotype people. i have a friend who's gay and i'll admit i was kinda freaked out at first but you have to realize they're still people, not really that different either. btw you're story was amazing! :)

Gay people aren't hurting anyone, so it isn't for us to judge. but that's just my opinion. thanks for the feedback :)

AnonyMOUSE BRONZE, Canon City, Colorado
I'm sorry, but that ending was really freaky... I do have a major problem with homosexuality. However, I've resolved to love them just like everyone else I know who is doing something wrong. If you have any questions we'll talk