Awake | Teen Ink

Awake

By NaiNelson PLATINUM, Bellevue, Washington
NaiNelson PLATINUM, Bellevue, Washington

Change in life is never easy, but you have to learn to deal with it because life doesn't slow down for stragglers.

Blue light seeps through the dense color of my curtains. Summer. The word seems so distant, too foreign and yet so familiar. There is not a day that will go by this winter that I will not wish for sun shine and cloudless, warm afternoons.

It's 5:55. Too early to get ready, too late to go back to sleep. I just lie there in bed, the comforter pulled tightly around me like a cocoon. My phone vibrates. I ignore it. Probably just Jewelle texting me her random quote of wisdom for the day. I loved my best friend, don't get me wrong. But sometimes I get a little peeved when she sends me advise from Buddhist monks at five a.m.

Fifteen minutes later I hear Mom get up to make coffee. I'm still a little early, but I decide it's time to get up. I kick the covers off, glad the temperature of my room isn't freezing like yesterday. I take a long shower, letting my muscles relax under the soothing steam of the hot water. I take my time to first comb then blow dry my chocolate waves. I glance at the mirror, surprised at how good my hair turned out; normally I have too much frizz.

I don't both with the cover up today because I actually slept well. No bags under the eyes. It makes me smile-- another nice touch. A little mascara on the top lashes and I'm done. I never bother with foundation or blush. My cheeks are rosy enough, and I rarely break-out. I throw on a clean pair of jeans and a long-sleeved V-neck. I'm torn between a heavy cardigan and scarf, or a cozy-but-bulky parka when my phone starts vibrating again. This time I actually look at the screen.

It's Jewelle. Again. Six texts from her in the last half-hour:

*Good morning girlie!
*It's cold - again. When is this nightmare going to end?!
*Got coffee yet? Wanna meet at our fav coffee place?
*Hey u there? Deana?
*Dude, u there??
*Okay, ur cyber silence is killing me. Answer plz Deana!

I roll my eyes. I can picture Jewelle right now, pacing back and forth in her room, waiting for my text. She'll be all ready, of course: she's an "Early Bird" as they call it and can't help but wake up early everyday. She's always ready by 5:30 in the morning, even on weekends. A baggy T-shirt or button-up tucked casually into acid-washed jeans and scuffed-up purple Converse. Died black-over-brown hair stuffed into a messy ponytail, which allows her to show-off some new pair of crazy bird-feather earrings. No makeup, of course because she doesn't believe in it, only a nose stud that you barely notice.

I text her back, answer all six of her texts in one:
*Good morning? Actually is even though its cold. No coffee yet. All ready. What's the word cyber bird?

Her text comes thirty seconds later:
*I was about to call the cops. U r so slow in the morning.. Im freezing 2 death!!!

I laugh out loud, image her doing push-ups and jumping jacks in her room, as I know she does when she get cold.

*Don't sweat it. Meet u at Kev's in fifteen?

*Sure. 'As long as you are awake,
Strive for this with a one-pointed mind;
Your life will bring heaven to earth' (Sutta Nipata)

I smile. Jewelle always knows the right thing to say to kick off my day.