The Kid | Teen Ink

The Kid

By RoyalCorona SILVER, Grand Rapids, Michigan
RoyalCorona SILVER, Grand Rapids, Michigan

All of us fave failed to match our dream of perfection. I rate us on the basis of our splendid failure to do the impossible. -William Faulkner

Look up at that wall of quotes kid, pick one to fuel the fire in your young heart. Everyone's been where you're at now and yet you're feeling useless and doubting everything that you are. Writing in a notebook when you're supposed to be studying for that important test tomorrow. You'll scramble in the morning, won't you, battling the sleep that tries to bog you down.
What's the problem? Hate your peers, your teachers and all the family that doesn't call and never really did? Then you've got it, the job is yours. You can be a writer, just step inside and we'll show you around. Soon enough, your every thought is going to be poured onto paper.
You'll feel scared at first, afraid to show your true feelings, you're a fish out of water. You've always kept a straight face, it's a clean slate, nothing gets to you, right? Nah, you're all jelly inside, aren't you? You're screaming to be heard while everyone else only hears a peep, a sigh. Your heart is like everyone else's except that you were born with it broken and everything hurts. You'll go on, you'll carry on like all those other kids but you're different. You see the truth in the world that other people don't. It just kills you doesn't it? You can see other people too, you're a natural X-ray and hate it.
You even lack that fire that most people live off of.
That's why we need you kid, you're not that different, you're just like us. You can join us, the ranks of the elite, the writers of the world. Sure, it's going to be a hard life for you and you might turn to some sort of destructive addiction but you'll enlighten the future generations! It'll pay off in the end, we promise. You'll love it, absolutely love it once you get over the fact that you're bound for failure in the first billion words and then it just gets harder. But once you get past that, you'll find your truth, the thing that you search for in libraries and empty notebooks. You'll be great kid, I can see it in the emptiness of your eyes.

What inspired me to write this was that I have this wall of quotes and I was just glancing at it right before I was about to write about something completely different when the thought hit me. I just started to write as fast as I could without any sort of direction at all. I hope that people enjoy it and I hope that they understand that we've all went through this as writers, the doubts and the feeling of anxiety before you really get into the flow of writing.

Icithra PLATINUM, Arlington, Massachusetts

The wastebasket is a writer's best friend. ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

That was beutiful work. Your sentances flowed really nicely. It almost sounded like poetry or a song. Great job!

Thank you so much!

author_musical PLATINUM, Torrington, Wyoming

Sweetie, if you're going to be two faced, at least make one of them pretty. - Marilyn Monroe

I'm pretty sure you just crawled inside my head and wrote down all my thoughts about writing... Only way better than I could have. Totally true. I liked it. Hope you get published, my friend.

Yeah, that's me every day. I make myself write 2000-3000 words a day so I'm usually tired when I write and have to put things off. But I guess that's what you have to do to become the best that you can be! I love writing so much!

Thank you! You people that reply on my work and leave criticism and nice comments are just the best!

vegetariangirl, Hamilton, Ohio

Being normal is boring - Marilyn Monroe
You only live once -?
A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit -Richard Bach

This was great, reminded me of me, I tend to write even when I'm tired and have a million other things to do too!

BabyBean BRONZE, Kaysville, Utah

It's hard to get out of the barrel. It's slippery around the edges and people are happy to see you fall back in. -RDJ

Wow, that really sounded just like me. You're amazing!

Shahrier PLATINUM, Colma, California

"I'm a river that no longer flows" - a friend
"when the people lead, leaders follow" - Gandhi

if strong language dosent bother you, you might look up 'ill mind of hopsin 5'. i read your other poems and you definately have a really good flow. and your works are also really deep.

Thank you! Really? I never thought about it that way! I guess I could see someone rapping it... Haha!

Shahrier PLATINUM, Colma, California

other than the fact this is super long and dense, i loved it. it conveys emotion and imagery very well. (i dont know, but i keep thinking that someone could rap this) 

Thank you! This one has to be my favorite out of the things that I've posted on here and reading what you said makes me just blush with pride. Thank you so much!

IMSteel BRONZE said...
IMSteel BRONZE, Wallhala, South Carolina

"Learn from Yesterday, live for Today, hope for Tomorrow" - Albert Einstein

"Brevity is the Soul of Wit" - The Which

That, was poetry. Tip of the hat to you, RoyalCorona. I look forward to seeing you published.

DawnieRae BRONZE, Lancaster, Ohio
i totally agree!! 

Thank you so much! I thought that it seemed better vague than with vivid detail. Thank you!!

DawnieRae BRONZE, Lancaster, Ohio
Cool, i really enjoyed this.. it was kind of vague, and that is why i really liked it. :) Great Job Carona! 

Thank you so much!! 

OlveraJorge1 said...
"I just started to write as fast as I could without any sort of direction at all."
Oh gosh, this piece is like a vague, hazy reflection of my mentality but only sometimes! I enjoyed the direction you took and think you really get people to think when reading your work

Thank you!! You guys seriously make my day with your nice comments and approval!

sarah98 BRONZE said...
sarah98 BRONZE, Holyoke, Massachusetts

It is better to write for yourself and have no audience than write for your audience and have no self.

this is so cool! i love the voice you used

nautiicaled BRONZE, Elk Grove, California
Totally understandable! It's still good work though. :)