Meeting Him | Teen Ink

Meeting Him

By Black_Ink SILVER, Miami, Florida
Black_Ink SILVER, Miami, Florida

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life... to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - Henry David Thoreau

Typing furiously on the keyboard, she bit her lower lip, squinting as she focused on the computer screen before her.

She took a quick glance at the clock, her body tense once she realized that it was already 1 o'clock yet she was nowhere near done with her 20 page report due for her English class.

Sophia resumed the pounding, her fingers barely skimming the keys in her haste to finish. One of those window alerts came up, an annoying beep accompanying it.

Sophia gave an annoyed sigh, her brow furrowed with anxiety, and she clicked the "next" button accidently. The screen froze for a while, but Sophia continued to wait, her right foot lightly tapping the floor with impatience.

The document she had been staring at for the better part of three hours disappeared, her eyes widened. Then her computer screen seemingly crashed, her heart began beating wildly against her rib cage.

A blue screen innocently came up, and she already felt the angry blush rising on her cheekbones, her vision turning hazy with unavoidable tears.

She smacked both her hands on the keyboard as if that would be of any help, the blue screen almost mocking her.

Sophia rapidly began to think of what she should do. She glanced around the library which was practically empty. Muttering under her breath in anger, she stood up suddenly, the old rickety chair she sat on screeching against the tile floor.

Sophia had no alternative but to head to the librarian, this bitter old lady who nobody wanted to deal with, less she were to finally succumb to diabetes. Strolling casually to the counter, she looked left and right, inwardly preparing herself mentally to face her wrinkly skin and her dried color-less lips thinned in rage.

While she approached the counter slowly, she caught sight of this guy, his brown hair catching the street light coming from the window.

His eyes were focused solely on the book, his index finger thumbing the next page. He sat slouched in his chair, unaware of the looks certain little girls rummaging through the historical section were giving him.

She scoffed, chuckling a bit since it was obvious they have never even read The Great Gatsby, the book title one of the girls held in her hands to "disguise" herself as she eyed the guy.

She turned away, sighing once she had located said grouchy librarian, her swivel chair barely able to keep her big frame off the ground. She was munching on an extra sized bag of greasy chips, licking her fingers enthusiastically with a loud smack.

Sophia opened her mouth but she thought of a better idea, turning away from the librarian and headed towards the brown-haired guy.

Her black ballet flats squeaked as she neared him, noticing that when he turned the page, moving his head slightly to accommodate his new position, a few strands of his wavy hair slipped towards his grey eyes, blocking his vision. She stopped before him and waited until he noticed her presence. When it was obvious that he froze, she began to speak hesitantly.

"Hello?"

He looked up, his gaze shifting to her, and Sophia couldn't help but study his piercing eyes. After an extended silence, he raised his eyebrow at her questioningly when he noticed that she made no move to continue.

She felt the familiar sting in her cheeks indicating that she was blushing, but she paid it no mind in hopes that it wouldn't be too noticeable.

"Uh, yeah, do you have any experience with fixing computers?" She rocked back and forth on the heels of her foot, her hands grasping at the bottom of her comfortable shirt as she awaited his response.

After he studied the page he was on for second, he placed the book on the desk in front him, which happened to be Hamlet, she noticed curiously.

When he kept quiet, Sophia stared at him blankly, wondering if she should walk away and pretend that this encounter never happened. He gazed back at her suddenly, nodding slowly.

"I guess you could say that. What's wrong?"

She stopped fidgeting and told him what happened that caused this whole dilemma.

"Well, I was typing on the computer, working on this report for class, when this…" She trailed off, wondering how she could explain it clearly. "This window came up. I was in a hurry, you know, since I have a deadline to meet and all, so I accidentally clicked on a button and next thing I know, the computer stopped working."

She gestured with her hands wildly, her facial expressional vulnerable as she began to wonder if she could ever retrieve the information she had written. She avoided eye contact at all times, so she never saw the small grin he gave as she stuttered horribly. When she did look, though, he had a pensive expression.

"That's quite a problem you have," he began, "but it's nothing I can't fix."

His voice was deep but smooth, and she gave a small surprised smile. If he noticed, he gave no indication as he nodded with confidence.

Sophia began to notice his attire now that they were engulfed in silence. He had on a casual black tee and dark wash jeans. Her eyes settled on his arms since she noticed how fitted his shirt was and she began studying his biceps when he interrupted her.

"You mind showing me the way to your computer, then?" He whispered, eyeing her oddly as he casually ran his hand through his hair.

Her eyes widened, seemingly caught, but she looked away towards the computer. "Of course."

She began to walk to computer number three, looking over her shoulder to make sure he was following her. His eyes quickly snapped to her eyes and she vaguely wondered what he was looking at.

She continued walking the short distance, wondering if he would actually be able to fix the mess she created. She noticed the few straying girls once again but with a closer look, they were probably no older than 13.

She turned her head slightly and peeked at the guy from the corner of her eye. He was staring back at her, directly into her eyes, so she quickly faced forward again.

Sophia caught sight of her medium-sized purse and hurried her pace. She sat in her chair again, scooting forward and clicking a few keys helplessly in her last ditch effort to take off that endless blue screen.

She turned towards him, frowning slightly. "You see?"

He nodded, a smile tugging at his lips. She tilted her head at him, narrowing her eyes.

"Well?"

"You never told me you had the blue screen of death." He chuckled and she scoffed, shaking her head in disbelief.

"So that's what it's called. How terribly fitting," she muttered.

He nodded, cracking his fingers leisurely before he spoke again. "Okay, so I guess you can watch or something."

She gave him an expectant look before she looked back to her screen.

"Ready when you are," she muttered, exasperated by the whole ordeal.

"By the way," he mumbled as he stood behind her chair, slouching over her form, "Don't touch anything and let me do my thing."

Sophia tensed as she felt his body behind her. The feeling stayed with her for a while until she noticed that he was typing in a series of letters carefully but diligently. As she watched his hands typing with the occasional use of the mouse, she suddenly felt optimistic.

The library was perfectly quiet besides the familiar clatter of fingertips on the keyboard. She stared blankly at the computer for God knows how long until she realized the blue screen was gone.

"Hey, you're actually getting somewhere," she said, laughing for good measure as she stared up at him.

He glanced at her again, a smile pulling at the corner of his lips.

"So you're telling me that you had no faith in me?"

She giggled, shaking her head. "I wasn't exactly optimistic about this but whaddaya know."

They were completely in silence yet again as he continued to fix the computer.

He clicked enter, and the computer restarted. "You had any programs on when you got the blue screen of death?"

She suddenly paled, remembering how much information she lost, before muttering a yes. He shook his head, heavily in thought while the computer turned on again. A few minutes later, Microsoft Word appeared. Utterly empty.

Sophia deflated, but gave him a quivering smile anyway. "Thanks for trying anyway."

The guy gave no indication he was listening to her, just kept typing. He exited Microsoft Word before he clicked on it again, and the 13-something pages she had written was all there.

Her eyes widened but she smiled so wide her cheeks immediately started hurting.

"Well, I think an apology is in order," he whispered.

"Huh?"

He thinned his lips and narrowed his eyes at her. "Don't think I didn't notice how you were so reluctant to come up to me."

"Well, you know..."

"Wow," he said, shaking his head incredulously. "I don't look like the type to know anything?"

She frowned a bit, licking her lips as she thought of a way of denying his claim.

"Uh, I'll just apologize. It's way easier than explaining myself," she mumbled sheepishly.

He chuckled, but then they stared at each other, suddenly having nothing to talk about. Sophia gave him a grateful smile and was about to thank him so he could be on his way, but he spoke up first.

"My name is Aiden, by the way."

Nodding, she grinned at him politely. "I'm Sophia."

Smiling back at her, he nodded, his hands tipping his invisible hat in her direction. "I have to get going, but I'll see you around?"

Aiden backed up as they finished their conversation.

"Yeah," Sophia said loudly, earning her a glare from the librarian. "I'll see you around."

Aiden turned in the direction of the exit, and with one lasting glance at her, the door shut and he left.

Sighing to herself, Sophia looked back at the computer. As she attempted to continue her paper, she could only squeal happily to herself, realizing that she just met Aiden, an actual good-looking and intelligent man.

"Quiet in this library!" the librarian yelled at her. Even as Sophia nodded and kept to herself for the rest of the night, nothing could bring down her happiness.

Especially when Aiden stumbled into the library later, looking frazzled as he handed her a slip of paper with his number on it.

(:

Black_Ink SILVER, Miami, Florida

Yeah, I've been trying to work on dialogue and characterization since this story! Thanks for the input!(:

cmjcmj12 BRONZE, East Northport, New York

"For you, a thousand times over." -The Kite Runner

I really liked this but one thing that I thought was strange was the dialogue. The writing was good throughout, but then I felt like the conversation got a little awkward and unnatural. You're a really good writer though! And characterization was definitely good!

on Jun. 28 2011 at 4:11 am
IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

I don't usually find stories told/written in third person written well so kudos for you..

And, yes, this is so so cute.. :)
Keep writing.. :)

Black_Ink SILVER, Miami, Florida

Yeah, I don't know why teenink did that .__. 

Thanks for the critique! I'll look into that(:

Just.A.Dream SILVER, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

Part of the J7X team. :)

I liked this. A lot. :) I loved the story in this, but the '"' things are kinda distracting. I know it's just computer code for ", but it would be easier to read if it was written correctly.

I didn't see any grammar errors, so if I could get told where they are, I'd like to know. xD

The conversation between Aiden and Sophia was a little bit awkward though. They didn't seem to be into each other at all; it just seemed random and embarrassing to me. Maybe make the guy a little more approachable?

And when Sophia approaches him for help, why does she do that? Why didn't she just ask the librarian? Explain that a little more. Otherwise, good job!

Black_Ink SILVER, Miami, Florida

Thanks for the comment(:

Robsessed PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas

"I may be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it." - Maya Angelou

"Did you know 'I told you so' has a brother, Jacob?" she asked cutting me off. "His name is 'Shut the hell up.'" - Bella Swan, Breaking Dawn

okay, the two stories totally make sense now. I read this one and then Chance Encounter as I was like "What?!" thinking they were connected.

i like this story better, but I think the other one is written better. I'd be interested to see what happens next with this one.

charmiypiggy said...
charmiypiggy, Melbourne, Other

You eat food for the enjoyment of it; the fact that it helps you stay alive is just a bonus.

Like many others before me, I read Chance Encounter before this as well. I also agree that there are grmmar mistakes that need to be corrected. It is rather cliche, but somewhat believable. Your writing is good and makes the story flow nicely, but the 'quote' thingies seemingly stunts the conversation and flow of the story. The ending was good, though. Keep writing!

Black_Ink SILVER, Miami, Florida

To each his own(: Thanks for the comment!

XxDream_in_ColorxX SILVER, Ocean Springs, Mississippi

“It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined.” -John Green, Paper Towns

I know this is a horrible critique... But I disagree with some things the other comments say.  I think this article is pretty much perfect.  I didn't notice any grammar problems, and the conversation seemed pretty realistic.  =] 

I also read "Chance Encounter" and I'm wondering if there's going to be more of either of these pieces...? I hope so.  Five stars!

lilmartz PLATINUM, Perrysburg, Ohio

Live Life Like A Party That Never Ends

I read both of these! You are such a good writer! The story and plot were amazing. However, some parts were a little cliche I think. A turn of events might be a nice thing to add, if it doesn't screw up your entire story. As NailsForBreakfast said, I did catch quite a bit of grammer mistakes so, be sure to get those fixed! Other than that, really nice job :)

Black_Ink SILVER, Miami, Florida

Meeting Him and Chance Encounter are two completely different stories, actually, I just happened to use the same names. (I wanted to change up the personalities and such)

Thanks for the critique, I'll look into the grammar issues(:

Black_Ink SILVER, Miami, Florida

These are actually not intended to be associated with eachother but since I used the same names, this is to be expected, haha.

Thank you for the critique!

amandap PLATINUM, Midlothian, Virginia

awh :) this is cute :) I, like the person below me, read Chance Encounter before this one XD

You have some grammar issues. You might wanna dump this on Microsoft Word and hit spell/grammar check and let it run through and tell you the mistakes.

Overall, cute! adorable!

a.singlenote SILVER, Little, Colorado

The truest beauty in the world is exsquisite and makes your heart ache with something that you can't name.

Oh gosh so I totally read Chance Encounter before this x] oops...

I like how Aiden is kind of stand-offish and kind of cold... It adds to his character :)  I have the same comments from my other post, how some of it is rather predictable, and it gets maybe a little wordy, as someone has said.

:)

Black_Ink SILVER, Miami, Florida

Thank you!(:

Black_Ink SILVER, Miami, Florida

Thank you, that means a lot to me(:

Shrien PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

"When one door closes, another one opens"

Ok. 

Not to sound suck-upish,

but this is definetly the best piece I have read on this website!
You got some talent!

KEEP IT UP!! (:

starlight26 GOLD, Miramar, Florida

*life isnt about pretending to be something you're not. It about being who you are and finding someone
who loves every bit of it."

"Life's tradegy is that we get old too soon and wise too late"

Adorable! Loved the ending :) Check out some of my work if you'd like! keep writing.

Black_Ink SILVER, Miami, Florida

Awh, thanks for the feedback!(: