In-Freeze | Teen Ink

In-Freeze

By Speed BRONZE, Lake Worth, Florida
Speed BRONZE, Lake Worth, Florida

Do not use my name!

In-freeze

When you wake up, you expect to find warmness of the sun, beam down into your head. The night of covering yourself with the sheets, you expect to be just the least bit of warmness… but no… I woke up to find that the window was fogged up. I saw that the floor felt like ice. I woke up to see my breath… I slowly got out of bed to find that the walls were covered with an ice. The ice seemed to have a faint green glow to it, which can barely be seen through this thick mist. Being a mother, the first thing that comes to mind is your children.

“Jane?” I barely manage to ask.

The cold air blocked me from talking. You would have to be totally silent to hear my voice. I put one foot down, feeling the unsmooth surface penetrate my skin. It was all uneven, making it painful to walk. The worst part about it is that the coolness of it burns my skin. I find my sandals, and attempt to slide my feet in it, however, it seemed to be frozen into the ground. They were stuck there. I see that my jacket was still mobile, so I put it on and quickly rush into Jane’s room. I had slept with my bedroom door open, so I can hear if any sound erupted from the house, but Jane closed hers. I tried to open it, but it froze in place. The door knob wouldn’t even move. I pulled all of my energy together, and attempted to break the door open. Perhaps something that gave off heat could temporarily melt it. I only wonder what had happened, that the entire house is a giant block of ice. Not caring at the moment, I quickly find a blow torch, and yanked it off the bottom cabinet, which was not as frozen as the door.

“MOM!” I hear my little girl scream.

That motivated me to move faster. I ran up the stairs, slipped on the last step, but managed to grab on to a little nail that was sticking out of the top. That nail had always caused me pain, it came when the house was built, but I guess now its saving my life. I set the blow torch on, not understanding that I might set the house on fire. I burn through the ice, until it’s melted enough for me to open it.
I set it down, opened the door to find my daughter was shaking under the covers, scared for her life. I was scared too, but I knew I shouldn’t show it. I quickly came to her bed to comfort her. She was crying, and she was cold. She knew something was wrong. She knew that I was scared, and she knew that we couldn’t do anything to protect ourselves… We stepped outside to our front porch to find our house was frozen in a giant glacier. I looked through it, and saw not even one other house was frozen. It was only ours. I went back upstairs to get the blow torch, while Jane looked around the house, seeing it all frozen. The blow torch froze to the ground, and I wasn’t able to pull it out. I tried grabbing various hard things, all failing to break out of the ice. It felt like the air was getting colder and colder… I checked the A.C to find it was set on -19 degrees. I quickly switch the heater on, and then tested to see if our electricity still worked, but it didn’t.
“Mom, look at the toilet!” said Jane.
-20 degrees now, and our jackets were not enough. I quickly grabbed a knife, and tried to cut our way out. The knife just broke. I sighed, and head back inside. I quickly try thawing out the blow torch again, but still no use. I have tried everything.
“Mom?” Jane asks.
I reply by just giving a simple hum.
“Why don’t we just dig under the house?”
I thought about it for a bit, and then decided it’s worth giving it a shot, but I saw all our tools were in the shed, which was being blocked by the ice. I threw a brick at it, did not even leave a dent.
-25 degrees, freezing here. It does not get this cold in Florida, never. Some sort of unnatural force trapped us. Finally, giving up all hope, I hear a snap. Then the blow torch started tumbling down the stairs. All I hear is Jane yelling, “I did it, did it!”
I smiled, and went towards it, quickly picked it up, and went back outside. I set it on fire, and waited. The ice looked thin enough to thaw out of it. I jammed it with the blow torch, and out flooded the light, and in a quick flash, everything melted. Everything. I called Jane. As the house was flooding. Luckily, she came out just in time. We stepped on to the street and saw our damp house, oozing water. I was just glad we were out of that, but the real question is, why had this happen? I checked with the neighbors, they claimed they saw nothing, and called me crazy. I checked the thermostat again, it said 74 degrees. I just sighed in relief, mopping up whatever water was left, while Jane watched TV. I went to the basement and saw the mini fridge was left open. I gasped at this, and decided that this was not the cause of the reason, and quickly closed it. Jane fell asleep, and so did I.
When you wake up, you expect to find warmness of the sun, beam down into your head. The night of covering yourself with the sheets, you expect to be just the least bit of warmness… but no… I woke up to find fire burning all around the house.
I just sighed, and Jane said, “I’ll get the ice pops!”

The end…

I just thought about a way to make a good short story, then I rememberd it being cold. If there was some sort of mutant freeze, to freeze a house, what would it be like?