Dear Agony | Teen Ink

Dear Agony

By SabreEleven DIAMOND, Madeira, Ohio
SabreEleven DIAMOND, Madeira, Ohio

"Backpack, gimme another beer!" --Nate Bell

Jason Card stood from his bed. He couldn’t get those awful images out of his head. He had seen so much. So much death, pain, and suffering. For days he had been writing in his journal. To Agony. To his pain. He wanted it to go away.

He had only known God for about a week. But, he hadn’t taken his problems to Him yet. Only to Agony. Blaming his pain on it. But Agony was his pain, it was complicated. Agony was like a person to Jason. Agony was his god. Pain was his savior.

One day, Jason picked up his Bible and began to read from the book of Revelation. It spoke of how God would return one day in the future and save everyone. Jason awaited that day. However, he still clung to Agony, he still felt awful and his pain was great. Jason knelt and began praying and for a brief second his pain was gone. It was like a ton of bricks had been lifted from his shoulders. But the second was over as soon as he quit praying.

Agony was running through his veins. But, who is Agony? Jason had to figure that out, otherwise he would cease to exist. He would die. The Bible told Jason that the devil was the root of all evil. Jason began to pray harder this time. He was beginning to see the light of God.

Jason cleared his mind as he began to hear God speak to him. God told Jason to hand over his problems to Him and to forget them. Jason then realized who Agony was in that moment. Agony was the Devil. The root of all evil. And God was good.

“Arise, O Lord, Deliver me, O my God, strike all my enemies on the jaw, and break the teeth of the wicked.” –Psalms 3:7