The Search | Teen Ink

The Search

December 31, 2013
By SnehaVee GOLD, Ajax, Other
SnehaVee GOLD, Ajax, Other
13 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
I loved you, so I drew these tides of men into my hands
and wrote my will across the sky in stars.
-T.E. Lawrence

Hell hath no fury
-Dante, Inferno


The girl looked at the building while the rain fell around her. It was raining in New York City and despite it being a hot and sticky night, it didn’t seem to bother girl. The building she was staring was nothing out of the ordinary; it had 50 floors, hardly something to stare at in the city populated by the some of the tallest buildings in the country. She watched as a tall man accompanied by two bulkier men exited the building hurriedly into an idling car before making her way into the building.

She didn’t take the front doors but instead walked down the alley and around the back where there was a single inconspicuous door with no door knob that almost blended into the wall. She reached down to the bottom edge of the door and felt the small gap, following it up until she could feel the small clay like substance stuck in the side. Quietly, the girl pulled the door open and walked in.

She walked down the dim hallway and stopped at a door. The stairs were to her left and the door had a small glass panel allowing her to see the quiet lobby. There was no one present with the exception of the doorman and the concierge. Quickly she started the long walk up to her destination, reaching the 49th floor in a matter of minutes.

Opening the door that said 49, she silently padded along the carpeted floor, turning a corner and finally stopping at an unmarked door. She took two pins out of her hair and fiddled with the old lock until it opened with a resounding click. Taking a deep breath, she opened the door.

The room was sparse with the exception of a single cot where a lone figure swathed in the dark laid. The girl walked towards the bed, her face an emotionless mask. The figure moved as she stepped beside the bed. Dull eyes stared back at her as she finally exhaled a breath she didn’t realize she had been holding.

“Hello mother.”