Not it | Teen Ink

Not it

November 21, 2014
By PianoKeys97 PLATINUM, Medford, New Jersey
PianoKeys97 PLATINUM, Medford, New Jersey
22 articles 35 photos 59 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there's still going to be somebody who hates peaches." -Dita Von Teese


My friends and I definitely weren't what you'd consider the “populars” of the school. We never felt compelled to party every weekend with boys or break school dress code to wear expensive short-shorts and glittery cut-off tops. That wasn't what we valued. However, we weren't the “outcasts” either. We had our own little group of friends, and we were never really challenged or put down. Although most of my friends would argue we were still “the losers,” I, personally, thought we were fairly well-respected. Although we weren't sporty enough to be “popular,” we did excel when it came to academics and the performing and visual arts. And academics are number two to sports in my school.

 

So why me of all people? I often wonder how that incident was even possible to have occurred. Of course I kind of knew it could happen to anyone, yet me? No. That’s not what society taught me. I never would have ever thought someone like me would be crying and sulking over what people say in the confinement of my room, trying to make sense out of all of it. I never knew I could feel so abject.

 

In fact, the whole event still puzzles me. I didn't expect it at all. Not to be rude but it usually happens to the new kids who move in from other states. Or the ones who can’t stand up for themselves when facing a crowd. Or the ones who don't dress the same or look the same... That's what was always shown in the videos and written in the books. Always. “If you're this person, this is what will happen, and this is what to do.” It’s almost as if it’s all based on some dictum. Well if it is, it's wrong. Because I used to think that if you're just confident or respected enough you'd be well-off. No one would ever dare messing with you, or call you names, or make you feel absolutely mortified. But that's not true either.

 

I must say, in a way, it was all so silly now that I look back. So meaningless. I didn't even know them. But the words that came out of their mouths are still a vexation. Though I suppose that’s just how it works. Every once in a while they come back into my head, distracting me from the truth. But I don't believe them. Where would I be if I did?

 

Truthfully, in my experience, it doesn't matter who you are or where you’re coming from. That doesn't place you above or below anyone else in life--Because anyone can be bullied, even in the most unsuspecting circumstances. And you can't just run away from it or scream "nose-goes" and think you're safe. Everyone takes their turn eventually. Anyone can be a victim, no matter what you think. That’s just how it works. Call it fair, call it unfair. But no matter how you look at it, that’s just how things are. In the game of life, everyone is “it.”


The author's comments:

This is based upon a personal experience of mine. Yes, I have been bullied before and although it can be called "nothing" compared to some very serious issues today, it is still an event that stays with me.