The Good After Maria | Teen Ink

The Good After Maria

By Leigh116 PLATINUM, Easley, South Carolina
Leigh116 PLATINUM, Easley, South Carolina

"We're all mad here." -Alice in Wonderland

I’m not one to focus on the bad things that happen in this world because I would rather focus on the good. Believe me, there is still good in this world despite the terrible events that keep happening all around us. For instance, when hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico, it knocked out all of the power in the tiny country, flooded the streets, and left many of the citizens without food, clean water, and shelter. As her citizens are struggling and dying in the streets, the mayor of San Juan made a heartfelt statement about how her people needed help and the government wasn’t providing the proper resources to aid the country. Our president responded with rude tweets and complaints, that might have been jokes, about the effect helping Puerto Rico would have on the budget. Unlike our president, there are people who heard what the mayor of San Juan said and decided to do something. Stephen Colbert and Nick Kroll started a hashtag, #puberme, to raise money for Puerto Rico aid by having celebrities tweet out pictures of themselves during puberty and their younger years. Through this hashtag, the people at CBS, the people at Big Mouth, and the funds from Stephen’s partnership with Ben and Jerry’s, they raised a million dollars to help with relief efforts in Puerto Rico. On top of that, Lin-Manuel Miranda, the creator of “In the Heights” and “Hamilton: An American Musical”, partnered with multiple latino artists and produced the song “Almost Like Praying” and is donating all the funds to the relief efforts in Puerto Rico. If that doesn't prove to you that there are good people in this world who really care about all those around them, then I don't know what will.

What is happening in Puerto Rico and the response it has received from our President was very disheartening. I felt the need to share the good that is being done to aid those who desperately need our help.