Amendment for Congress and Senate Term Limits | Teen Ink

Amendment for Congress and Senate Term Limits

Recently Senator Ted Cruz, and Republican Representative, Francis Rooney proposed ideas that would limit the senators time to two six year terms and Congressmen and Congresswoman would get limited to three, two year terms. This is because they believe the people have not been represented in Congress, and the House of Representatives well enough, and a large sum of people are upset.

There is a lot of “brokeness” within Washington D.C but nothing ever seems to change. This is because no one in congress ever leaves and they abuse their power to benefit themselves. In order for this to take place, the laws that Cruz and Rooney are trying to put in would have to be amendments.This is because in May of 1995 the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that states could not impose term limits on their representatives or their senators. Could this be part of the brokenness we still see today? Both the Democrats and Republicans both have began to gain traction on this issue because it could benefit both parties, but most importantly, the people.

Some argue that the current congress is “out of touch” with the current citizens and their wants/needs. This is clearly a good observation, as when you are surrounded by people constantly you will act with them. Some may call this Monkey See Monkey Do. This is why someone who is struggling to reach their goals, such as become a congresswoman or congressman, would have a slightly closer 3rd person view to Washington and may be able to act for the people and not for themselves or the interest of their bank accounts.

In Conclusion, Senator Ted Cruz and Republican Representative, Francis Rooney are proposing a possible solution to some of the problems that we see today in first world America. This could be the next big step for the american political system.