An I Voted Sticker | Teen Ink

An I Voted Sticker

By noravoght GOLD, Merton, Wisconsin
noravoght GOLD, Merton, Wisconsin

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."-Albert Einstein

A simple sticker can change the world and millions of lives.

A family dressed in all white heads to the synagog, mourning the death of their Jewish great grandfather who died from his sickness from 1945. An I Voted sticker presses closely on the sun visor of their car.

A single mother carefully adjusts her turban as her children slowly walk past bushels of poppy flowers through the market. Quietly thinking how to make every dollar count. An I Voted sticker presses closely onto her wrinkled stained blouse. 

A Hispanic family waits in a line of thousands of people; in hopes to find a better life. Police guards line the fences, entrances, and exits. The family questions if they will ever make it out. In the distance they see a young Hispanic woman in the booth at the entrance; with an I Voted sticker presses against her yellow-green reflective vest. 

A young college student walks back to his empty home through the dark allies of his broken city. The thoughts of debt make him dred every step. A snap of a stick or rustle of leaves shakes him; three gunshots and the squeal of tires sends him running. An I Voted sticker slowly peels off his stretched collar shirt. 

A young ebony boy places a bouquet of poppies next to his father in his grave. He sheds a tear thinking back to the life that was taken from him by the ignorant man in all blue. A life he cannot get back. The bruises still on his arms and chest. An I Voted sticker presses closely on his sky blue button up shirt.  

A rainbow colors the entire inside of a church from the light reflecting off the stained glass onto two perfectly white gowns. Down the road, the swear of an oath breaks the silence as two perfectly ironed tuxedos repeat “I do” after another. Four I Voted stickers press closely on their shirts over their heart. 

A simple sticker that represents your change, your beliefs, your voice, and your opinion that cannot be heard without your expression.