Life is too short | Teen Ink

Life is too short MAG

People constantly focus on material possessions and winning as the most important partsof life, vowing to enjoy life as much as possible. How often is the message"Life is too short not to live a little" thrown in our faces by themedia, profiteers only inteested in making a buck? It's easy to buy into thisphilosophy, but once one has forgotten what really matters, it usually takes somedrastic action to stir the memory.

My high school, like many others, isextremely competitive not only in sports but also in academics. The stress oftrying to get excellent grades while participating in extra-curricular activitiescan be overwhelming. Sometimes it seems like I live at school! When I am home mytime is spent doing homework. Some days I am so busy finishing a project that Ibarely see my family. This all became apparent last year.

I have a youngerbrother and sister. My sister is nine years old, seven years my junior. We usedto see a lot of each other, but after I graduated from the grade school sheattends, I saw less and less of her. I tried to go to her gymnastic meets andsoccer games but had my own play rehearsals and meetings.

Then one day Icame home to an empty house and found a note from my mom. She was at my brother'sbaseball game, and my sister was at her friend's and would be droppedoff.

At five o'clock I went to turn on the light on the front porch andsaw my sister walking toward the door with her friend and her friend's father. Iheard them talking.

"Is anyone home?" the father asked.

"Just my mean big sister, and she's probably in her room asalways," my sister replied. I couldn't believe it. I didn't even know thisman and my sister was making me sound like one of Cinderella's wickedstepsisters. I opened the door, thanked the father for bringing her home, shutthe door and started to cry.

To make a long story short, a huge fightfollowed that ended with me banishing my sister to her room until my mom gothome. When she arrived, I told her what had happened, and I realized that whatwas worse than the fight was that I really hadn't been a good big sister.

I had lost track of what was important, what really mattered. I had been suckedinto a whirlpool of stress and competition, and it took my sister's honestobservation to show me that the grades I got didn't matter to everyone -certainly not to her. All that matters to her is that I'm her big sister, andthat's what matters to me, too

ambivalent SILVER, West Bend, Wisconsin

everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. the worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. [sylvia plath]

must keep this article in mind...

LIZ_J. said...
LIZ_J., ATHENS, Georgia

.

I think your sentiment was genuine, but your grammar could benefit from some attention. Your personal story brought your intended point far beyond stating a blank opininion

marissalynn. BRONZE, Pendelton, Indiana

"So it's not gonna be easy. It's going to be really hard; we're gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me... everyday."
-The Notebook

I think you have this exactly right. everyone is too sucked up into a world of drama , grades, popularity, exc, that they cant see the important things in life , family. wonderfully written . 

jwow21 BRONZE said...
jwow21 BRONZE, Gap, Pennsylvania
Awh I know what you feel like. This passage is sweet and i think its really cute how you are sharing this to the world. asince your sister said one thing to you that hurt you really bad.

AngelicaM BRONZE, Warren, Michigan
Beautifully written! I am glad that you are sharing this sweet message with the world.