Friendship | Teen Ink

Friendship

Friendship

I approach the gates to the campus as another day of school begins. Clumps of peers surround me as I walk and the constant hymn of voices can be heard from all around. Greetings are made and the news of the weekend is shared. I make my walk through the corridor, stopping right in front of the stairs where I see my own group of friends waiting. It is here, at the start of every morning, that we join. These are the people that matter to me, the ones I care about, and having bonds of friendship with them is the only way a person like me could survive.

William Penn once said, “I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness or abilities that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer it or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” This quote explains it, what really matters in life. Friendship really matters. Friendship is an opportunity, an opportunity to be apart of the greater good, to love and share and grow with someone. To give all you can, to trust, and to be a loyal friend. To be self-less and kind. To build relations that will last. Those great friendships are the ones that always remain intact inside us. Giving us the strength to be something in life, remaining apart of us forever, and making us the people we are. They give us purpose, fill our life, and bring meaning to all the little things.

Life’s about the little things. It’s about being a friend, immensely caring for another’s well being, giving someone a shoulder to cry on and a tissue to hold. It’s having someone who makes you laugh so hard you pee your pants, someone to be totally inappropriate with, and someone to have patience for. I can listen to all their problems, giving optimistic outlook, and try to help sort them through- no matter how silly or outrageous their problems may be. It’s about having someone to believe in. It’s understanding with an open heart, and being and having their faith as a support system. They help me get through the times I never thought they could and make it bearable to live. Friends forgive and love compassionately. Life’s about trusting someone enough to let them in, enough to shatter the bubbles that surrounds us- however challenging it may be. Life’s about friendship and without it, none of these little things would be possible.

When I picture all the things that have happened in my life, good and bad, I can always remember someone being there with me. I think about all the amazing people that surround me with and realize just how much they mean to me. When we’re together, it feels like anything can be accomplished. They give me will and strength to be something more in life. They bring light into the most ominous of things and fill my days with a great happiness. Living life now, I see the true value of their friendships. They have given me so much. I want to go out into the world and try to be as great a friend to them as they have always been for me. They are my friends, and in my life, they are what matters to me.