We Get One World | Teen Ink

We Get One World

By LizzK PLATINUM, Sullivan, Wisconsin
LizzK PLATINUM, Sullivan, Wisconsin

Lately I've been asking myself a new question, one that has been sparked by a mixture of curiosity and confusion over the going-ons of the human race. It's a simple question, and it goes like this: Have human beings grasped the fact that we get one planet, and only one? Have we fully digested how irreplaceable and truly fragile Earth is? Becuase I'm not seeing it if we have.

Twenty four hours a day we move around this ecosystem that so generously supports our never-ceasing demands, going about our personal lives without a single passing thought about how and why we are here, or what kind of imprint we will leave behind after death. Humans are so intensely immeresed in their own realities that they miss the big picture completely... myself included. Water, air, food and shelter are taken for granted. How sad.

It is impossible to turn on a television or log onto the internet without hearing or seeing everyone from scientists to actors fretting over the BP Oil Disaster that has swept across our beautiful ocean like the seeping black demon it is. But just when you think you have heard enough of the story, when you think it's old news...think again. It will never be old news. Despite your favorite pop star getting pregnant or a great new TV series starting this fall, everything we know and depend on is hanging by a very frayed string suspended over something beyond what we are prepared to handle. Think about that.

I don't understand where humans got the notion we are rulers of planet Earth. Who truly made us King? I have yet to see any species roam the planet with a number 1 star on their forehead. Ourselves included. So while our current way of life isn't something that needs to dissapear all together, maybe we should consider the fact that we are not alone. We kill ourselves and we kill all other life. And when the smoke recedes and the damage is done, this is not a video game. We can't retry the level. We can't hit rewind. Game over.

crazy4music GOLD, Sewell, New Jersey

It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives.

really good, made me stop to think. truly love you're ending