How to be Confident | Teen Ink

How to be Confident

February 17, 2014
By Mishamigo DIAMOND, Newton, Kansas
Mishamigo DIAMOND, Newton, Kansas
54 articles 28 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
We accept the love we think we deserve.


These days, a lot of people worry about their physical image or what effect they have on other people. Statistics show that 7 out of 10 people, especially girls, feel like they are inadequate to their surrounding piers. Statistics also show that 75 percent of people with low self esteem engage in negative activities such as eating disorders, drinking, smoking, bullying others, and self harm.

I don’t quite fully understand why people feel like they don’t deserve someone else. I always grew up wishing that I was prettier than I was now and maybe-just maybe-I would deserve that boyfriend or that popular girl as my friend. Truth be told, none of it really matters.

I’ve been recently deducting that I was not put on this Earth to please other people. My purpose isn’t to make them proud of me. It’s not to make other people happy. I’m here for my own self and if people don’t like the way I look, act, talk, or feel, than they aren’t people that I should be around to begin with.

The most important thing to remember is always be yourself, because what’s the point of faking? You might not feel good enough but at least you won’t be insecure and a poser. Wow, I’m sorry. I just realised that I’ve been italicizing a lot in this paper. Anyway, my darlings, you can hear the phrase “You’re beautiful,” all your life but one discouragement like the words of “You’re ugly,” or “You’re worthless,” will all cancel that out. Why is it so much harder to believe an insult rather than a compliment? I’m not quite sure, but I intend to find the answer one day. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, my friends. You’re all beautiful in your own unique way, no matter what someone else says.
You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it.


The author's comments:
Everything in this article is completely true, and I don't mean to offend anyone by my opinion.