The Walls | Teen Ink

The Walls

November 3, 2014
By OurVoices PLATINUM, Merrimac, Massachusetts
OurVoices PLATINUM, Merrimac, Massachusetts
31 articles 0 photos 34 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are" - e.e. cummings


When I walk into my High School guidnace office I see shelves lining the walls with books from top to bottom. Well that's good. Except it isn't. Because almost all of those books, like a hard 90%, are all about collegee and the SAT's...ok...so what if I don't want to go to college? Then i get, "Now dear, are you sure? Do you want to have a talk? How are things at home? Are you ok?". Yeah, I think I'm fine. Thanks. Not everybody has the same plans and dreams for their life. So why should we all have to be force fed the "path"? The "path" is that set plan for life that your guidance officers and your parents have been telling you about since the day you were born, you know, go to college/get a good job/get married/ have a family. Oh gosh, what an exciting life! Not. We should be learning about who we are and what life means to us, not about how to take standardized tests. The truly sad thing is that when i looked at those walls, I saw barley any books on self help with eating disorders, mental disorders, anxiety, divorce, drugs, friends, abusive relationships, depression. All I saw was college.