Gender Equality | Teen Ink

Gender Equality

By abby.v BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
abby.v BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana

Gender Equality should be taken more seriously in the world. Women around the world are getting paid less than men, they are required to cover their bodies, and they aren’t allowed education because they are being looked down on for no valid reason. In the classroom, girls are taught that they have to play fair. Then later, when a boy classmate pulls a girl’s hair, the girl is told, “boys will be boys.” Little girls are told that they can’t play sports because it’s for boys, and little boys are told they can’t play with a baby doll because it’s for girls. These are kids, and they should be able to do what they want to do (as long as it’s not hurting anyone). Are they hurting anyone? Are they causing any harm at all?

On October 9th 2012, Malala Yousafzai, a Pakistan Women’s’ Rights Activist, was shot in the head for standing up for women in her country. The Pakistani government, or the Taliban, had begun attacking girls’ schools, and Malala knew that this was wrong. She began running a blog in an attempt to empower women in her country. The government saw a problem with her, and sent her death threats.

In many countries, women aren’t allowed to have an education. The government claims that “women are stupid,” but the women actually have the potential to be smart. The leaders just didn’t give them the right to an education. They created the problem. It’s sad because many of these women have the capability of reaching great achievements. What if the cure to cancer was buried in the mind of a woman who had no right to education? Some of the world’s greatest inventions can never be invented because so many potential inventors cannot go to school. This is horrible, and it definitely needs to be changed.

People should have it in their mind that if it isn’t harming someone; it shouldn’t be looked down on. If women are given the right to an education what’s the worst that could happen? If a girl is allowed to play football at recess, is the world going to end? People want world peace, but they fail to realize that people have different opinions. Respecting all people, along with their opinions, is the first step to having peace. A long time ago someone put an idea in our heads: Equality doesn’t exist. That statement is far from true. Different groups of people are looked down upon, but why? We all have a brain, we all have beating hearts, and we all have potential. We are not different from each other at all. When we look at it, we’re all human. It’s time we start treating each other like it.