A Lesson on Happiness | Teen Ink

A Lesson on Happiness

February 20, 2009
By l3eyond GOLD, Northfield, Minnesota
l3eyond GOLD, Northfield, Minnesota
14 articles 2 photos 0 comments

The smallest things in people tell some of the biggest characteristics without you even laying your eyes on them.
I walked through the neighborhood solemnly, watching the white picket fences flash by, the close-minded un-individuality antagonizing the pupils of my eyes. They were scared, frightened of being different. Because blending in was so much easier. I was searching to find something that would draw me in, something that would make my heart set on fire so I could bask in the heat, and the glory of it would shoot me to open skies.

I was in search of light, of happiness. Because in this neighborhood, the white picket fences held everyone in the dark. Everybody was the same. They were all copies and clones all wishing for change. But it's never that easy. Wishing will never get you what you want. Taking that extra step of letting desire run and doing what you need to do is what these people wanted but were too scared to do.

Although I have just admitted the truth, I am no different. I walk with the people that find themselves wishing and wanting to be happy, but never doing anything about it.

The power if happiness is never treated right. Underestimated or overestimated. Underestimated, and you'll find yourself staring at your toes, your feet taking you nowhere. Overestimated, and you'll find yourself looking up into the blank sky and running into white picket fences. Yes, there is a such thing as too much happiness. So if you're one of the lucky people that don't have white picket fences surrounding you, beware and be proud.