Tired Students Across America | Teen Ink

Tired Students Across America

By millaval BRONZE, Mukwonago, Wisconsin
millaval BRONZE, Mukwonago, Wisconsin

Yesterday, at 1:45, a student was spotted with their head down, completely uninterested in their class work. Their peers were equally fatigued and were slouching in their seats as if they could not hold themselves up. These students, like many other students, don’t get enough sleep at night and are aggravated by how early they must wake up.

On top of this, middle school students sometimes must spend hours studying for exams, tests, and quizzes, along with attending extracurriculars that may occur late in the night.

As a solution, it could be possible to have rotating schedules similar to the German school systems. This means having only certain classes every day, not the same ones. Depending on the day, students may not have to get up for school until much later, and on other days they may get to go home a little earlier.

If we do this, it allows students more time to sleep in, study and attend extracurricular activities. More sleep will prevent students from falling asleep in class, not paying as much attention, and forgetting to take notes.

Professionals say that such early start times in school causes students to become sleep deprived and it can be the cause of many psychological, physical and educational problems. They also say that “starting school before the sun rises is out of sync with the biological clocks of young people.” -startschoollater.

Another plausible suggestion is that extracurricular activities will be able to start earlier on the days that students have fewer hours, allowing them to get home earlier to do much needed studying. It is also important to let students spend more time with their family.

Students across America are experiencing what those students at experience every day as well. It is not uncommon to walk past a classroom in an American school and see tired, worn out students.