Push, Shove, Trip: What's Up with These Hallways? | Teen Ink

Push, Shove, Trip: What's Up with These Hallways?

January 18, 2019
By schrkend BRONZE, Mukwonago, Wisconsin
schrkend BRONZE, Mukwonago, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

January 17, 2019 students are seen in Mukwonago struggling to get around the hallways at the end of the day, almost like fish out of water. Students are getting pushed, tripping, and are seen not being able to cross the hallways through all of the traffic.

2:33 pm the bell rings and you rush to exit your classroom into the hallway. As you merge with your fellow classmates, the hallways are getting fuller and fuller.  In less than 15 seconds you see students everywhere, trying to get to their lockers, eager to get home.

Before you realize it you’re in a mob of students walking in the halls, running into other students both in front of you and on the other side of you. Often you have to wait for a clearing if you want to get across the hallway without getting trampled by the stampede of students coming from each direction.

The topic of the hallways being so busy, especially after school, has many points that should be addressed here in Mukwonago.

Often times students like to walk and talk in the hallway, but if you have an odd number of people that can be immensely difficult. The hallways are meant for two by two, but students commonly try to walk in three’s or even sometimes four’s.

Although this might work for some, the students walking on the opposite side of the hallways easily get ran into by these odd groups of students walking side by side. Not to mention this type of grouping is also uncomfortable for the group itself, as one person has to dodge lockers and doors, the other has to dodge students walking in the opposite direction, and the last one is simply squished in the middle.

So what does this mean? Should students have a side-by-side limit for walking in groups? Should we raise money to renovate the hallways to fit more students? This is a problem for students that is often overlooked by teachers, as they don’t have to experience this madness almost every hour of the day as students do.

All in all, both students and teachers should be talking more about this topic, as it would much improve the school system here in Mukwonago.