Learn a Foreign Language Young! | Teen Ink

Learn a Foreign Language Young!

By stafaly22 BRONZE, Onalaska, Wisconsin
stafaly22 BRONZE, Onalaska, Wisconsin

A foreign language class needs to be a requirement to all students, starting in elementary school. Tons of education systems are doing it wrong! Many high schoolers struggle with learning a foreign language and struggle with using it outside of school. Research shows that if you begin taking a foreign class at a younger age, you’ll have a much greater chance of succeeding with that language. The purpose of classes are to set students up for success in the real-world. It only makes sense for schools to start teaching a second language class to students before high school.

You might be surprised to know that learning a new language at an early age is much easier than trying to learn the language later on. Children have countless advantages to being bilingual by starting at a young age. A strong study on this topic finds that young children are less self-conscious that older learners which lets them practice their new skills without fear of embarrassment. Elementary children are also better than high school students at mimicking new sounds and pronunciation. (“The Benefits of Language Acquisition”). Our brain systems that specialize in learning new languages grow rapidly from six years old to puberty. So, it makes more sense for elementary kids to be required to learn a language, right? If schools reconsider requiring foreign languages classes at younger ages, we will definitely learn more effectively than we currently are with language classes starting in high school.

That’s not the only reason that I believe schools are doing it wrong. Speaking a foreign language can greatly improve academic achievement in children. As young children are learning a language, they experience a constant mental workout. A study on early childhood and elementary learning says, “The cognitive benefits of learning a language have a direct impact on a child’s academic achievement. Compared to those without an additional language, bilingual children have improved reading, writing, and math skills, and they generally score higher on standardized tests” (“Benefits of Learning a Second Language” [Lead]). These studies show that knowing and speaking more than one language can have tons of positive results! Children are set up for academic success and long-term success when they are taught a second language. Isn’t the purpose of a class to set students up for success?

Children develop way more of an interest in different cultures and ideas when they have a foundation in other languages. Foreign languages can introduce kids to the world in ways that they might have not experienced otherwise. It would be crazy not to familiarize kids with different cultures when our country is constantly growing in diversity. Research shows that children who are exposed to other languages have positive attitudes and more empathy towards the cultures associated with them (“Benefits of Learning a Second Language [News]). Our society holds many ethnicities and there are many benefits to communicating with larger amounts of people. Foreign language classes can prepare elementary kids for the real world! If students become more comfortable with new cultures from a young age, they will have much more success in their adult life.

The advantages for requiring foreign language classes at an elementary level outweigh the disadvantages tremendously! It may cost schools an expense, but what is a small expense compared to a better education for students? I agree with the evidence that says schools should choose an earlier time to begin teaching foreign language classes. It’s what is effective and it’s what is right!