Louis Armstrong: “What a Wonderful World” | Teen Ink

Louis Armstrong: “What a Wonderful World”

Louis Armstrong also referred to as Satchmo has greatly impacted many people in his lifetime. He was born August 4, 1901, in New Orleans, Louisana. He died at sixty-nine years old on July 6, 1971, a couple of years after he released his song, “What a Wonderful World.” He was known for playing the trumpet and influencing jazz music greatly. He created many amazing songs and albums. One of his greatest songs is “What a Wonderful World.” He was already a prominent artist in the music industry, but this song really pushed him over the top. At sixty-six, he recorded and released the song in 1967. In this song, he sings about all the beautiful things in the world. The song was released to help people towards the end of the war that had lost loved ones. The song has a strong message about everyone’s life changing for the better. When the song was first released, it was not very popular in the United States. In 1968, it was very popular in the United Kingdom and hit number one on the singles chart. It later blew up in the United States in late 1987 and early 1988. It was featured on Good Morning, Vietnam, a popular tv show at the time. It was not written by Armstrong but was written by Bob Thiele and George David Weiss. This song continues to impact many people around the world today. The song is meant to portray that through all the ugliness and hate in the world that is still a beautiful and amazing place. This astounding song has stayed popular for over thirty years. Armstrong has shaped and changed jazz music and the way people play it today.