The Top Ten Most Successful Assassinations | Teen Ink

The Top Ten Most Successful Assassinations

June 19, 2019
By Roxanna_Foxe SILVER, Anonymous, North Carolina
Roxanna_Foxe SILVER, Anonymous, North Carolina
8 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain


10. Alexander Litvinenko was a Russian agent, the possible MI6 agent. On November 1st, 2006, he fell ill after eating at a sushi restaurant. On November 3rd, his condition deteriorated and he was rushed to the hospital. He died three weeks after, suffering from radiation syndrome spawned from exposure to polonium-210. It is now told that Litvinenko was poisoned by a cup of tea in his hotel room.

9. Lee Harvey Oswald was a former marine who the government claimed responsibility for the murder of President John F. Kennedy. Whether or not they were right, Oswald was himself assassinated two days after the fatal shooting of the President by Jack Ruby, a Dallas nightclub owner with links to organized crime.

8. John Lennon was the founding member of the Beatles during the 1960s. On December 8th, 1980, Lennon was in New York City when a man shouted his name. As Lennon turned around, the man shot Lennon four times. Lennon stumbled into the hotel and collapsed. While this was taking place, the assassin Mark David Chapman dropped his weapon and sat on the street, waiting to be arrested.

7. Robert F. Kennedy was the younger brother of JFK. He was shot on June 5th, 1968, by a man named Sirhan Sirhan. A day later, Kennedy died in hospital. Kennedy had been shot four times at a point-blank range.

6. Malcolm X was a black Muslim minister. On February 21st, 1965, Malcolm had begun to give a speech when a man pushed through the crowd and shot him with a shotgun. Two other men joined in and Malcolm was shot a total of 16 times. The three men who killed Malcolm X were all members of the Nation of Islam.

5. Martin Luther King Jr. was a civil rights activist in the 1960s. He stood up for the rights of African-Americans around the world. On April 4th, 1968, he was standing on the second floor of his motel room when he was fatally shot. Two months later, James Earl Ray was captured for the murder of MLKJ.

4. Abraham Lincoln was the 16th president of the USA. He served from 1861 until 1865, when he was shot. John Wilkes Booth was a Confederate spy who had anger at the President because of his support for the freedom of African Americans. He was determined to assassinate Lincoln. On April 14th, 1865, Lincoln was going to the theatre. Booth seized his opportunity. He waited until laughter filled the theatre and shot the President in the head.

3. Julius Caesar was a successful Roman political and military figure in the 1st century B.C. Following the success, he started a civil war in the Roman Republic. Some senators in Rome were distraught by what Caesar had done, and so planned an assassination on the Ides of March. While walking past a theatre, Caesar was stopped by a group of Senators and he was stabbed. There were 60 Senators present. After Caesar was stabbed, he tried to run away, but fell and was stabbed repeatedly on the floor. He had 23 stab wounds. His death marked the end of the Roman Republic.

2. Franz Ferdinand, the Archduke of Austria, was assassinated on June 28th, 1914, starting WW1. He and his wife were riding in an open-top cab when they were shot by The Black Hand, a Serbian group trying to gain independence for all the states probed by Austria-Hungary.

1. John F. Kennedy was the 35th president of America, serving from 1961 till his death in 1963. Although there were hundreds of witnesses to his assassination, there was a lot of confusion surrounding Kennedy’s death. Just before 12:30 pm on November 22, Kennedy was traveling through Dallas in his open-top limousine. Three shots were fired from a rifle, which all entered the president. Kennedy died soon in a hospital. Lee Harvey Oswald was charged with the murder of the President.


The author's comments:

I was assigned this essay/article for my schoolwork. I then thought, "This would be nice to share on TeenInk," so here you go! The Top 10 Most Successful Assassinations.