Drug Addictions Among Teens | Teen Ink

Drug Addictions Among Teens

By francest BRONZE, Hopkinton, New Hampshire
francest BRONZE, Hopkinton, New Hampshire

How easy is it for you to access drugs? Many high schoolers would answer that obtaining some form of drugs is very easy, as is documented by a variety of surveys. In fact, in 2018, 20% of high schoolers were offered, sold, or given drugs on school property (The Recovery Village). Addiction doesn’t only affect the user, it also has a huge impact on his/her family and friends. Teenage addiction is a major problem in America today, with repercussions that extend far beyond the addict. 

As high schoolers, we all know people who vape, drink, and do other drugs. It is still a common problem in high schools and is perceived as ‘cool.’ In 2018, more than 1 in 5 high schoolers actively used e-cigarettes, according to the National Youth Tobacco Survey. This was a shocking increase from 11.7% in 2017. E-cigarettes are just one of many drugs commonly used by teens in the US. I think that it is alarming how much drugs influence the culture of high school. Many people who might otherwise be against drugs might use them because of social pressure. In reality, I think that many teens do not recognize the devastating effects that drugs can have, despite the endless health classes on the subject. 

It is very clear that vaping is a growing problem and that addiction is still a prevalent issue in the US. Teens between the ages of 12 and 20 account for 11% of the total alcohol consumption in the US (National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism). Though teens typically drink less frequently than adults, they usually drink a much greater volume, a habit often called binge drinking. Overall, alcohol consumption among teens has stayed fairly consistent over time, meaning about 60% of high school seniors still report having tried alcohol at some point in their lives (The Recovery Village). 

All of these statistics beg the question: why do teens use drugs? Though there can be a huge variety of factors, many teens do drugs for similar reasons: 31% of teens said that the reason that they use e-cigarettes is because of the flavors, while 39% said that it was because family and friends used them (US Food and Drug Administration). Depression, anxiety, stress, and other mental illnesses also contribute to a higher rate of drug use, as do low self-esteem or poor school results (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). However, one of the biggest influences on teens is the presence of drugs on social media and in teens’ daily lives. In fact, Juul, one of the biggest e-cigarette producers, is being investigated for alleged marketing to teens and other young people, especially in the wake of several deaths potentially caused by vaping. Though Juul did remove themselves from social media in 2018, their presence on various platforms continues. Tobacco Control recently did a study of almost 15,000 Instagram posts related to Juul from 5,200 different users. Very few of these posts were by Juul, enforcing the fact that teens inadvertently market for Juul. Juul also continues to produce flavors such as mango and mint, which appeal to teens. 

Teens who use drugs can suffer the consequences for the rest of their lives. Drugs can permanently affect the brain, especially the part responsible for impulse control and decision making. Growth and development can also be negatively affected or delayed because of drugs and alcohol (Addiction Center). Outside of health risks, many other aspects of a person’s life are harmed by drug use. Addictions can ruin one’s academics, thereby making it even more difficult to go to college and get jobs later in life. Drugs can also destroy relationships with family members and friends, as is illustrated in Beautiful Boy. 

The effects of a drug addict on a family are discussed in Beautiful Boy, by David Sheff. In this book, Sheff tells the story of his son, Nic, who becomes addicted to crystal meth as a high school student. It explains Nic’s rehabs, relapses, and his story, but also really focuses on the effect the drugs had on his family and friends. At one point during a relapse, Nic broke into his family’s home (he no longer lived with them) and stole from them. Sheff writes: 

Each time Karen or I discover another violation, we are hit anew by a combination of sadness and fury. How could he do this? We closed our bank accounts when he forged our names on our checks, canceled credit cards when he stole them. We'll have to do it again. Now I call a locksmith and a burglar-alarm company.

I also call the sheriff, reporting the break-in. If anyone had told me before I encountered addiction that I would be calling the sheriff on my son, I would have thought that that person was the one on drugs. I don't want Nic arrested. Imagining him in jail sickens me. Could anything good come of it? Suddenly I share the feelings of the parents I met in some of the Al-Anon meetings whose children were in jail and who said, "At least I know where she is." And: "It's safer." The sad irony is that as violent as jail can be, as bleak and hopeless, it is probably safer for Nic than the streets (222).

This passage demonstrates how affected the relationship between Nic and his parents is by Nic’s addiction. Despite the fact that David loves his son, he is still willing to call the police on him because of all of the things that he has done under the influence of drugs. In fact, he almost wants Nic to go to jail for the stability and knowledge that it would provide. 

The number of teens who use drugs and alcohol regularly is alarming, and with the introduction of new products such as Juul, it continues to be a problem. Though some teens can try drugs and never suffer any consequences, plenty of people make drug-related choices that affect them for the rest of their lives. Prevention is the best way to solve this societal problem, though this is a difficult challenge because of how deeply drugs are ingrained in today’s teenage culture. 

Works Cited

"Health Effects of Teen Substance Abuse." Addiction Center, www.addictioncenter.com/teenage-drug-abuse/health-effects-teen-substance-abuse/. Accessed 14 Oct. 2019.

Lardner, Richard, and Matthew Perrone. "Juul Labs facing scrutiny from federal and state officials." AP News, 30 Aug. 2019, www.apnews.com/67e5354718164ef292350615f724fb39. Accessed 14 Oct. 2019.

The National Institute on Drug Abuse Blog Team. "Tobacco, Nicotine, & Vaping (E-Cigarettes)." Drugs & Health Blog, , National Institute on Drug Abuse, teens.drugabuse.gov/drug-facts/tobacco-nicotine-e-cigarettes. Accessed 14 Oct. 2019.

Neilson, Susie. "Juul Doesn't Need To Advertise To Young People. Everyone Else Is Doing It For Them." National Public Radio, 3 July 2019, www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/07/03/738209356/juul-doesnt-need-to-advertise-to-young-people-everyone-else-is-doing-it-for-them. Accessed 14 Oct. 2019.

NIDA. "Monitoring the Future Survey: High School and Youth Trends." National Institute on Drug Abuse, 17 Dec. 2018, drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/monitoring-future-survey-high-school-youth-trends. Accessed 14 Oct. 2019.