What is education and what have activists done to combat the lack of education in a country like Pakistan? | Teen Ink

What is education and what have activists done to combat the lack of education in a country like Pakistan?

By Zainab_Awais SILVER, Lahore, Other
Zainab_Awais SILVER, Lahore, Other

Education is scarce in many third world countries and Pakistan is no stranger to education scarcity. This article will highlight the work of Malala Yousaf, Michelle Obama, and Sir Syed Ahmed who have played a pivotal role in reversing the curse of lack of education in Pakistan. Education is the wise, hopeful, and respectful cultivation of learning and change, undertaken in the belief that we all should have the chance to share in life. Education efforts are deliberately chosen  to improve knowledge, physical health and morals that can gradually deliver the highest goal. According to recent research developments in neuroscience, learning takes place both in the body and as a social activity. The cultivation of learning is a cognitive, emotional, and social activity. Education is deliberate, we act with a purpose, to build understanding and judgment and enable action. It helps people become better citizens, get better paying jobs, and shows the difference between good and bad. Education shows us the importance of hard work and helps us grow and develop. “Education is the most powerful weapon which one can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandela 

Education helps us question, gives us an analytical mind, and helps us reject superstitions. An educated mind asks for logic and scientific reasoning behind all actions. It helps us stand against wrong and for the right: Education helps lower the crime rate. Better educated people tend to live longer and have better lifestyles. It is a fact that the more degrees you have, the better would be your economic performance. There is a deep connection between education and productivity and in this age where there is competition at every turn, education is what will help industry and subsequently nation to flourish. Digital education has given students from across borders opportunities to connect and communicate and work towards building a better future and a better world. Education helps turn weakness into strength. Education gives us the confidence to stand for ourselves. It improves our decision making capabilities. According to Business Insider, individuals with less than a high school diploma have a chance of being unemployed to anywhere from 14.2%-14.9% as compared to individuals who have a bachelor's degree. An individual with a bachelor's degree may have a 4.0% chance of being unemployed. 

Sir Sayed founded the Aligarh Muslim University which became the most important linkage between British regiments and theories amongst Muslims. At Ghazipur in India, he introduced in his school the study of the English language and taught western science indirectly.  Furthermore, in 1870 with the help of Muhsin ul Mulk, he founded Tahzib ul Akhlaq, which would consider the problem of education of the Muslims in India. In 1867 he formed an education committee and drafted an education appeal in Benares. The appeal stated "Appeal to the followers of Islam and Government Authorities of India in connection with the progress of education among Indian Muslims.   

In 2012 when Malala Yousaf was shot, she became an advocate for opposing Taliban restrictions on female education in Pakistan. In 2013 Malala along with her father, founded the Malala Fund to bring awareness to the social and economic impact of girls' education and to empower girls to demand change. Additionally, the Malala Fund ensures free, safe, and quality education for every girl. Moreover, the Malala Fund team has also started a digital publication and newsletter, as a platform for girls to speak out about issues holding them back.

On October 22, 2015, Michelle Obama at the White House, with the former prime minister Nawaz Sharif and family, said the U.S. will be investing $70 million to educate adolescent girls in Pakistan.  According to the White House,  she said, "With this funding, we're going to be building more than a dozen new schools and rehabilitating a hundred others. We're going to be setting up health screenings for thousands of girls to ensure they're getting the medical care they need. We'll be funding skills training programs and college scholarships for girls. Taken together these efforts will reach 200,000 girls in Pakistan. That 200,000 girls who have a chance to fulfill their promise of being the next generation of doctors, teachers, and entrepreneurs." 

Citation: 

“Definition of Education by Different Authors” examplanning.com/definition-of-education-by-different-authors/ Accessed 8/17/2021

Ruth Kotinsky. “What is education? A definition and discussion” 

infed.org/mobi/what-is-education-a-definition-and-discussion/ Accessed 8/18/2021

“What is an education” slideplayer.com/slide/6397907/22/images/5/What+is+an+%E2%80%98education%E2%80%99+Education+is+the+process+of+training+people%E2%80%99s+minds+and+abilities+so+that+they+acquire+the+knowledge+and+develop+skills..jpg/ Accessed 8/18/2021

“10 benefits showing why education is important to Our Society” 

habitatbroward.org/benefits-of-education/ Accessed 8/18/2021

Shweta Iyer. “7 Ways Education Powers a Better World” knowledgehut.com/blog/learning/education-powers-better-world/ Accessed 8/19/2021

Joe Weisenthal. “The Employment Gap between the educated and the uneducated is incredible”

businessinsider.com/gap-between-unemployment-among-educated-and-those-not-educate-2011-2/ / Accessed 8/19/2021

“Malala Yousafzai” un.org/en/messengers-peace/malala-yousafzai / Accessed 8/19/2021

Office of the first lady. “Remarks By The First Lady At Joint U.S.- Pakistan Let Girls Learn Announcement” obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2015/10/22/remarks-first-lady-joint-us-pakistan-let-girls-learn-announcement / Accessed 8/19/2021

Hafeez Malik. “Sir Sayid Ahmed Khan’s role in the development of muslim nationalism in the Indo-Pakistan Subcontinent” jstor.org/stable/20832857 / Accessed 8/19/2021

Rahmani Begum Mohammad Rukussin Hassan . “The Educational Movement of Sir Syed Ahmed Khan” 

eprints.soas.ac.uk/29491/1/10731647.pdf / Accessed 8/19/2021

This article highlights the work of key individuals that include Sir Sayed Ahmed Khan, Malala Yousafzai and Michelle Obama there advocacy on education.