Why Switching From Petroleum to Electric Cars isn’t A Good Idea | Teen Ink

Why Switching From Petroleum to Electric Cars isn’t A Good Idea

June 2, 2022
By BrahimSejdiu SILVER, Tirana, Other
BrahimSejdiu SILVER, Tirana, Other
5 articles 1 photo 0 comments


A vehicle of transportation, electric or not, should be able to get you from point A to point B with no issues. Lately the world has faced many issues with transportation due to the extreme prices. However, it isn't a good strategy to switch from petroleum to electric when you're not making any profit, but instead losing. By losing I mean the people who are making hte switch.  
According to Reuters.Com, people think that electric cars are better for the environment because you're not consuming carbon when you're driving, but your using renewable energy, but actually what they don't know is that they are using a lot of carbon to build the cars, so therefore it is the same deal. Which means that petroleum cars are still a good option (“Factbox: Lifetime Carbon Emissions of Electric Vehicles vs Gasoline Cars”). 

Even though electric cars use renewable energy the batteries needed for them to function need very rare metals. They are more expensive than petroleum cars to buy, cannot drive as far as a patrol car, and the main reason is that there still a rent enough charging points. Let's say you are on a road trip and your battery dies, the chances of finding a charging station are very low, compared to petrol, however, it is more likely to find a gas station nearby. 

Waiting hours for a car to charge isn't a very good idea, instead waiting 1 minute for it to fill up is. Now electric cars do have their own benefits, but their benefits aren't enough to make up for the petroleum cars benefits. Now it may affect people's cost, but electric cars spend pretty much the same, from buying the car to finding charger, time is money, waiting 8 hours for a full charge can set you back, paying double the price for an electric car isn't worth it. 

If an electric car breaks down, it takes a lot of hassle to get it fixed, there is no ease of repair. But if a patrol car breaks down there is ease of repair, every car shop is made for them, but for example a tesla/electric car, you would have to take it all the way to the manufacture, which might even be out of the country! (If your car got exported) 
Overall, the switch isn't worth it, the people will end up going in debt from trying to make this massive change, when all in all, the expenses of owning an electric and petroleum car are pretty much the same. 
Works Cited 

“Factbox: Lifetime Carbon Emissions of Electric Vehicles vs Gasoline Cars.” Reuters, Thomson Reuters, 7 July 2021, reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/lifetime-carbon-emissions-electric-vehicles-vs-gasoline-cars-2021-06-29/. Accessed May 16, 2022.