The Standard of Equality: the Illusions, the Movements, and the Solution | Teen Ink

The Standard of Equality: the Illusions, the Movements, and the Solution

May 16, 2023
By cyan8758 BRONZE, San Diego, California
cyan8758 BRONZE, San Diego, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The perspective on equality is ever changing. The standards of what was once acceptable to societies has reformed, especially today in the time when change is the norm. Standards of equality have been and are characterized through combinations of different ideas about multiple aspects of equality, including, but not limited to, its direction, recipient, and source. Given the wide variety of combinations caused by shifting opinions, it is near-impossible to condense equality with one definition. Thus, this paper intends to narrow the scope of the investigation to the determinant source of equality. First, this paper will scrutinize the justifications used in historical, and several current, notions of equality. Such undertaking will reveal that, in the past, the distinctions between humans and the tangible elements (such as the amount of money and resources) were deemed to be the most significant and sufficient determinants of equality. Thus, this gave people the reason to justify the inequality embedded in other, less observable issues regarding behavior and bias toward others, such as racial categorizing. Next, the paper will observe the movements that have opposed the justifications of equality set by historical precedents and actions. Unlike the justifications of past equality, the modern movements have advocated for a more united and equal society while uplifting advancements of rights, not limiting them, in order to create equality. Lastly, in the looks towards the present and the future, my own definition of equality will be implemented, rejecting the justifications of the past and including the values of recent movements. The main idea of my definition would be a starting line for equality, freedom, and justice for everyone to thrive in.  To note, my perspective of society will consist of what is most effective, not what has occurred most, for societies in the status quo and in the future.

Justifications for Certain Equalities in History

History is intricately complex as there are many layers to the wars, movements, and individual actions that occurred. Yet, to pick and choose examples that represent equality in such a vast range is near-impossible due to the overwhelming number of different cultures and attitudes. Thus, it is most efficient to observe the standards of equality from the 1800s through the 1900s as those issues are the most relevant to our time, specifically on issues of justice and attitudes towards people.

When regarding issues of race, sex, and other matters, equality depends on a specific characteristic of someone. Whether it is the color of their skin, their hormones, their physical or mental capacities, people have always been diverse, and that is one of the most defining characteristics of humans. However, these differences have often been a cause for certain groupings that divide, leading to values placed on groups as either “superior” or “inferior.” Some of the most relevant examples from the past are racism (placing a value on someone due to the color of their skin) and sexism (devaluing women’s intelligence and skill).

Thus, due to differences, inequality—or what was accepted as equality—persisted due to the justification being “they’re different from us.” To note, these reasonings appeared and were accepted by those who benefited from their illusion of equality, leading to a rigid world. For example, slavery in the United States and the Western world were justified by those who benefited from slavery, on the premise that Black people were inherently different: property, not human. The great distinction between human and property led to a rigid illusion of equality, which many accepted. 

Another justification that has been prevalent in historical equality is equality based on resources of people. This depends on the equal amount and quality of resources given. It is vital to note that people consider resources as the worth of the person, often leading to the differentiation of people. However, even when the same resources and goods are given to everyone, it does not justify equality in whether people are treated equally or not. Despite the fact that we overcome this economic differentiation and have similar resources, the previous attitudes and level of respect that people had towards other groups tend to remain the same. One of the greatest examples is the “Separate but Equal” policy initiated after Plessy v. Ferguson, a case in the 1890’s regarding the separation of people due to their race in streetcars, in which the United States Supreme Court ruled that “Laws permitting, and even requiring, their separation, in places where they are liable to be brought into contact, do not necessarily imply the inferiority of either race to the other.” If the amount of resources could be a sufficient determinant of equality, the “Separate but Equal” doctrine should have eliminated forms of discrimination and inequality. Yet, racism against Black people continued as segregation and similar attitudes of negativity still persisted. In Brown v. Board, a case unconsitutionalizing the “Separate but Equal” doctrine through schools during the Jim Crow Era, the United States Supreme Court stated that “Segregation of white and colored children in public schools has a detrimental effect upon the colored children. . .for the policy of separating the races is usually interpreted as denoting the inferiority of the negro group.” Thus, although equality in tangible resources exist, perceptions of inequality have persisted. To be sure, I am not stating that the inequality or equality of goods are not relevant and unnecessary to be addressed; with an appropriate focus and attention to respect, I believe that equality on resources and accessible systems will follow.

Modern Movements of Equality

Many recognized that the justifications of equality in separation of differences and tangible resources caused problems against humanity. Thus, there have been several movements, especially in the late 1900s to today, that have fought against these justifications and for an equality with respect and justice.

Many movements, such as the Civil Rights Movement, the Disability Rights Movement,  and others had one underlying motive: to see society as one larger group. When regarding race, the Civil Rights Movement, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr is the epitome of advancement towards a better society with equality. In his acclaimed “I Have a Dream” speech, Dr. King declares in his famous line that “little Black boys and Black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.” In other words, Dr. King wanted a world of equality in which different groups of people may coexist without harm inflicted on Black people. Similarly, in disability rights movements, disability activists fought for better inclusion in society as equals because of the biases and actions to restrict and even eradicate disabled people from society.

To achieve unified equality, some have asked for the reduced rights of the privileged classes; however, the acknowledged and successful movements work to move lower-valued groups into an equal standard with privileged groups. Such movements avoid a scenario similar to the short story “Harrison Bergeron” by Kurt Vonnegut. In “Harrison Bergeron,” everybody is limited to a low but equal standard in intelligence, strength, and physical attractiveness. However, due to these boundaries to create equality, it is easier for the government to control the population, making it a totalitarian-like state. Thus, society similar to “Harrison Bergeron” would not be able to advance into a more efficient and capable place that would provide more opportunities for the skills people have and allow more freedom in the policies in society.

Both the Civil Rights Movement and the Disability Rights Movement worked towards more humaneness and equality for groups that were considered distinct and valued less. They did not advocate lowering the standards of humanity which would have led to everyone suffering in society; instead, they advocated for better rights in which people were to be safer, happier, and more comfortable with life together. Therefore, to fight justifications set by history is to make the whole of society better, not lower the standards for the worse.

My Definition: The Starting Line of Equality

Based on both the history and the more recents movements in society regarding equality, I will create my definition by avoiding the justifications deeply rooted in history and focus on the type of equality emphasized by movements that creates a more connected environment and positively uplifts everyone. My definition of equality will not focus on accurately defining past events; instead, I will focus on a kind of equality that society today and in the future should pursue in order to create the most efficient for the community as a whole. Similar to the movements towards equality and against justifications described, I will focus on a world that emphasizes a more central society without divisions, which will lead to a society that benefits everyone equally, rather than restrict their rights through groups and create a false sense of equality.

In terms of what equality of justice should consist of, it should be one of respect and of actions that do not harm or suppress one another. Drawing from the aforementioned ideas of the short story “Harrison Bergeron,” it must be contended that there have been and still are equalities that exist with certain limitations and they do accomplish a certain standard of society that people accept as equal. However, the inequalities that have persisted in the past and the present have done so due to the suppressions placed on certain groups; thus, we should focus on an equality that does not limit others: instead respects people and does not hinder their growth. With respect and admiration, social justice along with the prosperity of people’s choices and skills will create an efficient society.

I believe equality should be found in the starting line towards equal opportunities. Because of the unequal standards established by history and present society, it is difficult to place everyone at the starting line at the same time. To clarify, the starting line is one where everyone has reached the aspect of respect and justice. It is the place where people no longer hurt or discriminate against other groups, and when we reach this starting line, people have the freedom to pursue thoughts, activities, resources, and systems equally and freely. However, one must not take advantage of the situation. Because many cultures are based on business, education, and other standards that often emphasize competition and fending for oneself, once we reach the starting line, we will need to maintain the underlying motive of respect and justice in order to maintain an equal society.

Conclusion

In conclusion, equality has many distinct figures and shapes. In history and even today, there are many justifications that have led to illusioned equality, whether in differences of people or in tangible resources. Contrastingly, the movements of the 1900s to the status quo have worked towards equality for a more unified and advanced society. To avoid the harmful and implement the beneficial, I created a definition of equality by designing a society based on respect and justice. Yet, the main issue now is by what method the starting line for this world can be implemented. Though further study may be needed, the first step would be to give others respect, whether it is personally, politically, or in other aspects. Second, we must work to fix the constant justifications of a false reality stated above by educating others on how people must not accept false impressions of equality and look beyond the differences that separate us. Using this paper’s investigation of illusions, movements, and new perspectives of equality, the standard of equality can be reformulated as one that aids the cultivation of respect in attitudes and freedom.

 “Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, 347 U.S. 483 (1954).” Justia Law. Accessed June 27, 2022. supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/347/483/

​​Carmel, Julia. “'Nothing About Us Without Us': 16 Moments in the Fight for Disability Rights.” The New York Times. The New York Times, July 22, 2020. nytimes.com/2020/07/22/us/ada-disabilities-act-history.html. 

“Plessy v. Ferguson (1896).” National Archives and Records Administration. National Archives and Records Administration. Accessed June 27, 2022. archives.gov/milestone-documents/plessy-v-ferguson.

 “Read Martin Luther King Jr.'s 'I Have a Dream' Speech in Its Entirety.” NPR. NPR, January 14, 2022. npr.org/2010/01/18/122701268/i-have-a-dream-speech-in-its-entirety. 

“Separate But Equal.” Legal Information Institute. Legal Information Institute, 2022. law.cornell.edu/wex/separate_but_equal. 


The author's comments:

Over the past few years, issues of inequality are constantly brought to light, such as the Black Lives Matter movement and the Asian hate crimes that occurred during the pandemic. With these occurrences, I constantly pondered the real meaning of equality and how we, as a society, could pursue it. Through this essay, I built my own response to my questions on the definition of equality and ways society can build upon this definition.