why should we care more about teen mental health? | Teen Ink

why should we care more about teen mental health?

The last couple weeks of health in science I’ve noticed that teens don’t wanna open up to people and talk about their mental health because there scared that someone is going to make fun of them for their feelings, but i want to change that and make teens feel like there safe, and have people to open up and talk to, the more we help teens the more they will want to open up to people. Do you have a friend that has trouble opening up to people because they're scared? The teens that do have bad mental health have explained that opening up isn’t easy to do, because you have so many thoughts telling you someone is going to make fun of you for having bad mental health or that someone isn’t going to believe you at all because you are “too young.” Teens having bad mental health is important! Even though we are teens we still have feelings so we also have mental health, we should care about teen mental health because teens are so they also need help with feelings. Thoughts of suicide, affecting them in the future, and how can we help are all reasons why we should care about teens mental health.

Teen mental health is very important, because most teens have thought about hurting themselves, and that is very important to care about. First of all, most of the teens we have in our community have trouble hurting themselves and not trying to commit suicide, people that dont have thoughts about those things dont belive its true because there “too young” or “they cant have feelings there only a teenager” which is so not true, because teens get the most amount of diagnoses for depression. Another example is that even some of your friends have thoughts and you might not know it so we want to try and stop it as soon as possible. Finally, the teens even just look around the house and find something they can use so again the quicker we stop this the quicker we can make household objects weapons. 

Next, teens carry their mental health to the future which is bad, because that means we didn't stop teen mental health quick enough or we didn't stop it at all. An example of them carrying it into the future is, they can just have it all adulthood so it would never go away, and that can be hard on someone that carried it all the way through adulthood. Another good example is that some people can have memories and that doesn't feel good because you remember when you were struggling a lot, and that's never a good feeling to feel. The final example is that you can see the scars and that also can bring back memories, and sometimes people can make fun of you for having scars from when you were young and did that to yourself.

Even though it's not an example, how can we support teens with their mental health? What people can help, who in the community can help? Just try and help or get help a soon as possible. On top of the people you can go to for help in my opinion is a therapist who is so sweet and nice and never judges you. For example, they don’t ask about a lot of things, because they want you to be able to open up without interruptions. Another person that can help you a lot is, your parents for help or ask questions on why you have bad mental health or ask if they understand what you going through, or even ask if they can set you up with a therapist to help you instead, because you might not feel comfortable talking with your mom or dad or anyone in your family, but you feel comfortable talking with a therapist. Finally you have school counselors if your family doesn't help or even the therapist you always have school counselors. You might not want to, because you think they're not going to care but trust me they will always listen no matter what, and they also try to figure out solutions for you.  To begin, the last reason why we should care is because the teens most likely will carty their mental health into adulthood. Equally important, is that the more teens we help the more teens realize that we can help, and we will try our best to help you through everything.

In conclusion, we should help teens the best we can. Science has helped me realize that teen mental health is way more important than I thought. The amount of teens that have bad mental health is not ok, that means we are not trying our best to take care of them and that we are just letting them live their life with bad mental health, and that can make them feel like they have no one that can help them. Making them feel like they don’t have anybody can make them think about hurting themselves, and can even affect them in the future, and that we want to stop so we want to get people to help them and help us help them. Finally the reason I'm doing this is because teens with bad mental health deserve to feel loved and know that they have someone to talk to or someone that cares about them a lot.