Co^3nut Business Plan | Teen Ink

Co^3nut Business Plan

By Ellaaalalala BRONZE, Irvine, California
Ellaaalalala BRONZE, Irvine, California

Section I- Introduction
Executive Summary
With the rapid development of the world and the rapid increase in population, problems such as environmental pollution and waste of resources have intensified, making the solution of such problems an important and difficult task today. We at Co^3nut, as an emerging company born within this context, are deeply aware of the urgency of protecting the environment and other such issues, and we have made it our mission to do so. Our business model uses coconut husk as a raw material, and by reprocessing it, we turn it into the flooring that we need and make cup holders from the leftover material to reduce waste.

It is estimated that 85% of coconuts are thrown away and burned each year, resulting in significant carbon dioxide and methane emissions, which have a very serious impact on the global environment. Co^3nut is committed to changing this by providing safer, healthier, and more environmentally friendly flooring that meets the consumer's demand for eco-friendly and quality choices in a sustainable and environmentally friendly manner.

Co^3nut products are mass-produced in India and shipped by sea to all countries of the world, thus enabling global distribution. Here, we can utilize India's rich coconut resources and provide employment opportunities for local people.

Co^3nut promotes and sells its products both online and in stores. Co^3nut organizes promotions according to different seasons or holidays, such as New Year, Valentine's Day, Christmas, etc., offering corresponding discounts or coupon codes and setting up full-value-reducing promotions. In addition, we cooperate with real estate and decoration companies. This not only increases sales channels but also increases brand exposure.

Mission Statement
“Decorate your home with technology and innovation to create a safe and environmentally friendly living environment.”

Co^3nut pays attention to the health and safety of consumers and the protection of the environment. We want to minimize the negative impacts of the housing industry on the environment and create a safe, healthy, and cozy living space for consumers.

Vision Statement
“Create a sustainable future and create the world's most environmentally friendly home furnishing brand.”

Co^3nut utilizes renewable materials to turn waste into valuable products. Co^3nut contributes to the world's development and environmental issues by adopting environmentally friendly production processes and materials.

Section 2 - Marketing
Company Overview
Co^3nut is a company committed to the production and distribution of environmentally friendly and sustainable flooring. Our production factory is located in India, a major coconut-producing country. We rely on India's abundant coconut resources and low labor costs to produce high-quality, environmentally friendly products that are aesthetically pleasing and competitively priced products so that more consumers can enjoy sustainable resources.

Co^3nut is a company that sells to both businesses (B2B) and consumers (B2C). Our main customers include real estate companies, interior decorators, hotels, and individual consumers who value the environment and are committed to solving environmental pollution.

Our innovative approach is to produce zero-formaldehyde eco-friendly products by combining the fibers extracted from coconut husks, which can be used for flooring, with the world's most environmentally friendly MDI Ecological Adhesive as the raw material. What's unique about our company is that we make cup holders out of the leftover material from flooring production to maximize the goal of zero waste.

Co^3nut strictly controls the quality of its products, setting up a professional product inspection room, ensuring that each batch of products is inspected before leaving the factory to ensure that there are no obvious flaws or defects in the appearance of the products (including scratches, unevenness, color difference, etc.) and that the properties of the products are tested to meet all the standards (including strength, abrasion resistance, humidity resistance, environmental protection, etc.).

The use of coconut husk as a raw material makes our floors resilient and refreshing, making them ideal for both residential and commercial spaces. Co^3nut offers consumers an environmentally friendly, safe, and healthy choice that promotes a future where fashion and sustainability go hand in hand.

Channel distribution

Co^3nut strives to ensure that our products reach business customers and individual consumers quickly and efficiently. 

For B2B, Co^3nut cooperates with real estate companies, decoration companies, etc. We ship our products by ocean freight, an efficient and cost-effective way to deliver our products directly to these partner companies.

For B2C consumers, we have a retail store in California (CA 95032) where individual consumers have the opportunity to visit our physical products offline and shop directly in-store. Consumers can also place orders through online channels. Co^3nut partners with reliable logistics partners to provide logistics options that ensure our products are delivered to consumers on time and safely.

Product Development
Acquisition of coconuts and preparation: Co^3nut purchases high-quality coconut shells from India (a major coconut-producing country) as raw materials to ensure the quality of the coconut materials used on each floor.
Production: Co^3nut uses advanced technology to extract coconut fiber and process the floor efficiently and strictly.
Quality inspection: Co^3nut sets up a professional product inspection room to ensure that each batch of products is inspected before leaving the factory, ensuring that there are no obvious flaws or defects in the products.
Packaging and labeling: After production is completed, the flooring is packaged and labeled to provide clear product information so that consumers can clearly identify Co^3nut.
Sales and Distribution: Co^3nut sells produced flooring to both individual consumers and businesses (real estate companies and decoration companies).

Customer Analysis
In Co^3nut, there is no restriction due to international shipping after expansion. We would expand this sustainable flooring to be more accessible. The main targeted customers are middle-income levels in the process of furnishing houses and people who prefer eco-friendly options and sustainability of our environment. They would value the core idea of recycling and turning wasted coconuts into useful flooring. We aim to partner with local real estate and decorative companies in California to expand the options for flooring with this accessible, affordable, and sustainable eco-friendly flooring. We plan to open retail stores in the U.S. so that customers can visit and purchase in person. Co^3nut also promotes products internationally by working with foreign countries. 

Industry Analysis 
The number of people in the middle-income range in California: 13.2 million

Number of local furnishing stores in California: 3,741

Number of local furnishing stores in America: 48,667

Number of real estate companies in California: 4,385

Hollister is a city with largest amount of new houses in need of furnishing in California. There is a big market for Co^3nut with flooring options. Co^3nut is part of the real estate industry and sells flooring directly in stores as well as through businesses. 

Competitive Analysis
Direct Competitors: 

1. Bruce Hardwood

Bruce Hardwood is one of the largest manufacturers of wood flooring in the U.S. Bruce Hardwood specializes in hardwood flooring, including solid, engineered, and laminate flooring Bruce Hardwood has the advantage of brand name recognition and market share.

2. Power Dekor

Power Dekor is the largest wood flooring company in China. Its products include a variety of three-layer solid wood flooring, multi-layer solid wood flooring, laminate wood flooring, standard doors, closets, whole kitchens, furniture, and other series. The cumulative sales scale of Shengxiang flooring reaches 900 million square meters, and the scale of users reaches 25 million. Power Dekor's marketing network spreads all over the world, setting up 45 branches, with 3,000 uniformly authorized and uniformly imaged flooring stores in China and a number of sole proprietorships, joint ventures, and cooperative marketing companies in the U.S.A., Germany, South Korea, Hong Kong, and Canada. Power Dekor is in a position of Power Dekor, which has an absolute advantage in brand awareness and market share.

Indirect Competitors: 

Marco Polo Tile

Although Marco Polo Tile is different from Co^3nut in terms of materials and product types, they both provide consumers with high-quality and stylish home furnishings. Marco Polo Tile is one of the largest manufacturers and sellers of architectural ceramics in China, and its products include floor tiles, wall tiles, and decorative tiles. Marco Polo Tile has built thousands of stores in China and abroad, has a three-dimensional marketing network, and its products are exported to more than 130 countries and regions around the world.

Marketing Plan
Co^3nut uses several different ways to promote its products. First, the most important way is to work closely with real estate companies to bind the interests of our product sales with real estate companies and implant our products into the real estate company's model rooms. By visiting the model rooms, homeowners can more intuitively experience the actual decoration effect of their own homes. Real estate companies can organize these homeowners to visit model rooms and register customer information to target customers through property fee reduction, purchase discounts, and other ways to give back to the owners. They can also periodically hold group purchasing events with owners.

Secondly, Co^3nut cooperates with the decoration company and implants our products directly into the designer's design program. Pre-emptive lock intentional customers.

For retail consumers, Co^3nut targets potential customers by directly entering communities under renovation. We utilize a combination of social media marketing and community engagement to attract consumers, periodically hosting customer group buying events to facilitate transactions based on the progress of the gathered consumer base. Co^3nut also offers specific discount coupons and cashback promotions during special holidays such as Halloween, Christmas, and Black Friday. Co^3nut further engages in "trade-in" campaigns within older communities, where old flooring is collected and exchanged for discounts towards new flooring purchases. Finally, we offer free shipping and installation services with a minimum order threshold. Upon reaching or surpassing this threshold, consumers can enjoy complimentary shipping and installation, thereby increasing purchase frequency and enhancing order value.

S.W.O.T. 
Strength: 
Abundant resources: India, as a significant coconut-producing country, is very rich in coconut resources. Therefore, Co^3nut can fully utilize this resource to produce high-quality flooring.
Low labor: India's labor force is relatively low, which lowers the company's production cost.
Environmental protection: More and more people are paying attention to environmental protection. Therefore, Co^3nut can attract more and more consumers.
Weakness: 
Dependence: The main raw material utilized in Co^3nut is coconuts, and if there is a drop in coconut production or problems in the supply chain, it could greatly affect production and sales.
Brand Awareness: Since Co^3nut is a new company, we are less well known than the big brands such as Bruce Hardwood, and not as many people may know about and buy our floors.
Risks and uncertainties: Co^3nut is an innovative company, and we do not know if there are as many consumers as we expect to accept us and buy our products.
Opportunities: 
Environmental protection people increase: With the strengthening of people's environmental awareness, more and more consumers are pursuing environmental protection aspects. This provides development opportunities for Co^3nut.
Market expansion: Co^3nut works with other partners, such as real estate companies, to expand our business.
Threats:
Competitors: There are very famous and well-established flooring companies in the whole market. Their products may pose a threat to our Co^3nut.
Environmental changes: Environmental factors such as climate change may affect the quality of coconut husk, resulting in a threat to the production of flooring.

Section 3 - Financials

Co^3nut requires an investment of approximately $1,200,000. The investment funds will be used primarily for research and equipment.

Pricing Information 

Our company adopts Competition-Based Pricing. The market price for laminate flooring ranges from $0.8 to $4 per square foot. Our pricing is set at $2 for individual customers and $1.6 per sq ft for commercial customers.

It costs us $0.45 to manufacture one square foot of flooring. The net profit margins for individual and commercial clients are 77.5% and 71.9%, respectively.

Income Statement

Our net income was $-19,000 in the first year, increasing to $63,000 in the second year and about $160,000 in the third year.

Our company has seven main expense categories. The pie graph shows the breakdown of the first year's expenses. As you can see, operating costs make up the largest portion, followed by raw material costs and labor costs. Our company incurred losses in the initial year due to hefty operating expenses. However, from the second year, as our systems became more refined, we started to make a profit.

The Break-even point

It shows how many square feet we need to produce to break even, assuming we sell at $1.8 per square foot, the average of individual and wholesale prices. 

In our first year, we sold 560,000 square feet of flooring, which did not meet the break-even point. However, by the beginning of the second year, we had reached the break-even point.

RoI

Co^3nut's first-year ROI was -1.55%, which quickly grew to 5.23% in the second year, and in the third year, it achieved a 13.3% ROI, which means Our company's return on investment increased annually. This trend indicates the sustainable growth of our business. Investing in our company holds great potential.

Appendix
Expansion Plans
After Co^3nut has established its reputation locally in California, Co^3nut will expand nationally by opening more in-person stores, and international business through online media. Nationally, customers with similar needs for eco-friendly flooring could conveniently choose the product in person. On the other hand, Co^3nut will open online shops for international customers. Additionally, Co^3nut will partner with furnishing/decorative stores and real estate businesses all around the world in order to introduce the product directly and effectively to customers. 

Market Research
Prior to taking the actions, Co^3nut conducted market research on middle-income people in America to find out what is their preferred way of purchasing flooring. The options include direct flooring stores, furnishing stores, together with real estate companies, and online purchasing. Accordingly, we would decide the proportion of input we put in for in-person stores in America, or international customers through online websites. The research allowed Co^3nut to reasonably and suitably split the input of time and money of different ways of selling these eco-friendly flooring options.

Legal
Co^3nut is committed to ensuring compliance with all relevant laws and regulations to maintain the integrity and safety of its coconut flooring products. For example, the company follows the standards set by the International Wood Flooring Association (IWFA) to ensure the quality and safety of its products. Co^3nut is committed to making safe and environmentally friendly flooring, and the company will comply with the Indian government's environmental protection regulations and conduct formaldehyde testing to ensure that the formaldehyde emissions from its coconut flooring products are indeed zero. At the same time, the company also complies with Indian labor laws and regulations to provide fair wages and safe working conditions for its employees. As the coconut flooring process has yet to be widely available, the company will work with regulatory agencies and industry experts to promote its popularity and development, provide consumers with more choices, and work with consumers to promote environmental protection.

Xinran L., a class of 2025 student, has a strong passion for business. She participated in the school's business cohort, completing all courses such as Introduction to Business, Finance, Global Business, Marketing, Accounting, Communication, Ethics, and AP Statistics, which deepened her understanding of business principles. Outside the school, Xinran participated in the 2023 Wharton Business School Business Competition and completed an Intro Business and Finance course at Columbia University. She also interned at a custom furniture company last summer, which helped her better understand this flooring project. Currently, she is a co-founder of a company named BRODREAM, which is still in the preparation stages

Helen Z. is a current junior. She has always been passionate about art. In many experiences, she applies her artistic talents to the field of marketing and operating, by designing posters for the Breast Cancer Awareness Event for OHMI Medical Group and cooperating with marketing design. In addition, Helen initiated a voluntary project of creating and illustrating Parables Coloring Books for mission trips and produced cards, puzzles, and t-shirts in addition to the donations. As the Chief Operating Officer, Helen would bring her passion for art and her experience in marketing and operations to the company. through planning, marketing, branding, operations management, and community engagement through community outreach events to raise awareness about recycling and sustainability.

Maggie is also a junior at Crean Lutheran High School. She has taken statistics and big data analytics courses at my school and in a summer program at Columbia University. These experiences have given her a solid understanding of data analytics and its application to finance. Additionally, she gained hands-on experience by interning at a clothing store where she was involved in pricing strategies and customer service.

Maggie’s interest in engineering is reflected in her many engineering courses. This background has given her an in-depth study of industrial design and manufacturing processes that directly apply to our company's product manufacture and design. Her engineering knowledge helps her collaborate with materials engineers, manufacturing specialists, and environmental scientists to improve our manufacturing processes and ensure the production of high-quality coir flooring.