Connections between Emerson’s essay “Nature” and Thoreau’s essay “Walking” | Teen Ink

Connections between Emerson’s essay “Nature” and Thoreau’s essay “Walking”

June 22, 2024
By Mapricotist PLATINUM, Weston, Massachusetts
Mapricotist PLATINUM, Weston, Massachusetts
20 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Both Emerson’s “Nature” and Thoreau’s “Walking” emphasize the importance of connecting with and immersing oneself in nature, highlighting how modern society’s detachment from the natural world hinders the true perception and appreciation of its beauty, while one talks about spiritual aspects and the other focuses on physical benefits. 

In the excerpt of Emerson’s essay “Nature”, he begins by using the phrase, “To speak truly,” which sets a tone of honesty and sincerity, implying that what follows is a genuine reflection on the subject. He immediately establishes that only “few adult persons can see nature,” suggesting that he thinks most people have a limited understanding of nature. This conveys the rarity of genuine perception, and paves the way for the more detailed description that follows. Then, Emerson employs a metaphor involving the sun to illustrate the difference between how adults and children perceive nature. Emerson states that the sun illuminates only the eye of a man, suggesting a superficial perception. In contrast, it “shines into the eye and the heart of the child,” implying a more profound and holistic experience. Adults only have work in their eyes; they often forget to pause and enjoy the beauties of nature. By contrasting the limited vision of adults with the receptive and unfiltered experience of a child, Emerson emphasizes the transformative power of nature and implies that adults should strive to slow down the pace of life, act childlike with openness and receptivity, and fully enjoy and appreciate nature. Furthermore, Emerson introduces the concept of the “lover of nature,” someone whose inward and outward senses are harmoniously adjusted to each other. This individual “has retained the spirit of infancy even into the era of manhood,” implying a sense of wonder, curiosity, and receptiveness to the natural world. The phrase “His intercourse with heaven and earth becomes part of his daily food” suggests that connecting with nature is not merely an occasional or recreational activity but an essential and nourishing aspect of one's daily life.

Thoreau also emphasizes the importance of connection to nature in his essay “Walking.” He first states that he has to spend more than four hours in nature or he cannot preserve his health and spirits. This conveys a sense of necessity, suggesting that Thoreau believes that spending time in nature is not merely a leisure activity, but rather a vital component for the well-being of individuals. He then contrasts his own need for nature with the mundane routines of mechanics and shopkeepers. He describes them sitting in their shops all day, implying a sedentary and stagnant existence. Thoreau’s use of language, such as “legs were made to sit upon, and not to stand or walk upon,” expresses his incomprehension for this lifestyle and highlights the detachment of these individuals from the natural world. The imagery created reinforces the idea that the modern way of life has led to a disconnection from the natural world, as people have forgotten the purpose and benefits of physical movement in nature. Furthermore, Thoreau’s exaggeration on suicide that “they deserve some credit for not having all committed suicide long ago” serves as a sharp critique of the societal norms and values that prioritize worldly engagements over a connection with nature. It suggests that Thoreau sees the detachment from nature as not only detrimental to well-being but potentially even soul-crushing. This statement underscores some severe consequences of neglecting the natural world and challenges readers to reconsider spending some time connecting with nature.

Both Emerson and Thoreau mention that people need to connect with nature. They suggest that spending time in nature is beneficial for one’s well-being and spiritual growth. Both authors also value the immersive experience of being in nature, rather than a superficial or cursory observation. However, Emerson’s paragraph delves into the spiritual and inward aspects of connecting with nature, where his language is more poetic and abstract, emphasizing the spiritual connection with nature, while Thoreau’s essay centers more on the physical and practical benefits, which he uses a more direct and practical language emphasizing the physical act of walking. Emerson and Thoreau believed in the transformative power of nature and emphasized the need to immerse oneself in the natural world. They saw nature as a source of inspiration, solace, and spiritual nourishment. Their writings encourage readers to cultivate a deep appreciation for nature and to seek a harmonious relationship with the natural world.


The author's comments:

Transcendentalism!