The Good in Disaster | Teen Ink

The Good in Disaster

By WriterExpert7 GOLD, Lahore, Other
WriterExpert7 GOLD, Lahore, Other

"What I am looking for is not out there, it's in me." ~ Hellen Keller

Nature and Definition

An event in which an individual strives to realize a certain objective is called endeavor. Life is a sequence of continuous and countless endeavors. Any endeavor or struggle requires efforts from human beings and consumes energy upon execution. Humans are not impeccable, they have fragile control over life events. Moreover, humans have certain limitations, physical and mental. A person may not be able to predict or counter some threats or challenges during endeavors. The limitations of humans bring about unaccounted failures or crises.

Crises can be categorized into three levels; mild, mediocre and severe. Mild crises are minor complications that can be resolved on account of agile engagement with the problem. Mediocre crises are a tipping point of any life event; they require swift and wise counteractions. At the stage of severe crisis or disaster, the magnitude of the problem shoots to its apex and manifests its consequences at large. Crises can be reverted or managed, nevertheless. It is noteworthy, there is no hard and fast rule to discover the origin of any crisis or stringent guideline to crisis management. Sometimes disasters befall by nature to fulfil certain Divine Ideals. That being so, change, disappointments and failures are inexorable - even indispensable. These are the tools which help the individual realize his or her purpose, eventually. However, people can avoid unnecessary crises, counter crises if they appear, and most importantly, learn from them manifold owing to open-mindedness and focused personality.

Generally, there are two foundations of crises, internal and external. The internal factors are greatly regarded to one's mind and actions. For instance, challenges that sprout owing to wrong decisions, erroneous judgment of various life experiences, harmful thoughts, lethargy, etc. It is noteworthy, rigidity, wrong accommodation, and negligence towards change can also fuel it into crisis/disaster. It is recommended to listen to reason at times of dilemmas, be open during encounters with opposing motives, and purpose-driven/focused throughout exacting life events to make sure one stays on track. External disasters emerge due to aspects belonging outside a person's mental circle, such as, exterior intervention, bad company, corrupt management/government, etc. Normally, it is understood the internal foundation of crisis is more critical and decisive than the external one.

The physic state of a person during endeavors and crises is of significance to us. Normally, it is assumed that efforts are essential, but sometimes even if one thrives tooth and nail, desired results are not produced in the anticipated timeframe. Moreover, there is always something more than what the person is aware of; specific variables can be overlooked by humans. On account of natural limitations, a person may get frustrated at times. A sudden change or crisis can get to a person's expectations. How can an individual struggle with this emotional state while he or she actually strives in the reality? In this short article, we aim to discuss this subject with special attention.

Focus, Hope and... Fear

There is a purpose to every effort, an objective to every goal and a reason for every action. Focus is keeping in mind the gist/target of anything one may be preoccupied with. Focus is the map to any journey; it reveals, intellectually and intuitively, new paths towards one's destination. It inspires the traveler, motivating him or her at every turn. Focus adds meaning to efforts, which without it, are hollow. A distinctive quality of a focused person is his or her self-belief. It is noteworthy, firm faith or self-belief goes beyond the mental boundary of an individual and influences the intangible dimensions of reality. A person may experience multiple crises during endeavors. The magnitude of these flops can vary, but what cannot be defied is that firm faith, hard work and impartial attitude yields favorable outcome, sooner or later.

Every object, tangible or intangible, in the universe is recognized by its opposite. The principle of dualism elucidates the connection between any two terminal terms. For example, joy is distinguished by sadness, knowledge by ignorance, good by bad, appearance by reality, and so on and so forth. There would be no reason to call something itself unless the opposite of that thing existed. Similarly, hope is distinguished by fear. No matter how much anyone condemns fear, it is a part of life, as long as hope exists. According to the second law of thermodynamics, heat cannot transfer from the source in a heat engine until and unless there exists a sink.

Fear is not evil; it teaches us our weak spots. Once fear is recognized, a person becomes ready to embrace change. Change can often be in the shape of a crisis. Fear, if steered correctly, can guide a person through difficult situations. The goal is to recognize fear, not to succumb to it. Succumbing to fear can introduce tension in mind, followed by negativity. A negative mind is usually purposeless; contrarily, a positive mind is purpose-driven or focused. Holding to hope allows one to aim for the best, recognizing the fear enables one to plan for the worst. When a person is disciplined and prepared at both ends, obstacles/failures are withstood, on the way, and destination is realized, in the end.

Concluding Remarks - Is Crisis Good?

Every human is living a distinct life and has different personality dispositions. One's thought patterns and preceding life experiences shape his or her behavior patterns. Moreover, environment has a vital role in molding a person's temperament, as one grows. The rectification of thought patterns and behavior patterns require a practical approach which cannot comprehensively be available to persons, not always. Accordingly, it becomes necessary for the individual to cope with certain life events or trials that allow him or her to categorize certain aspects of living into positive or negative or neutral inclination. Such trials or challenges can seem, from the semblance, good, bad or extremely bad. But learning is common in each. It is noteworthy, things are recognized by their opposites. Similarly, disasters and unpleasant experiences are used to recognize, on reflection, the good in things.

A branch of mathematics, Chaos Theory, is a science of surprises. "It deals with complex systems whose behavior is highly sensitive to slight changes in conditions, so that small alterations can give rise to strikingly great consequences." Human life is dynamic and changing. Chaos theory is the demonstration of a very significant aspect of our life; the dynamic aspect. Living essentially means expecting change. Who knows how greatly our minor and perhaps insignificant decisions will affect our future possibilities - as explicated by The Butterfly Effect?

Normally, crises are condemned with forthright bluntness. But a positive outlook towards examining and managing them reveals, interestingly, that they might hold, despite appalling appearances, some traces of fruitful learning.