Dad | Teen Ink

Dad

January 22, 2019
By Ya BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Ya BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My dad impacted the music I listen to greatly. Although I always thought he was just a metalhead, a trip down south to Iowa proved me wrong. It was winter and the roads were covered in ice, which made it a long trip. Not too long after we got in the car, he turned on a radio station that played 70's and 80's feel-good music. I ended up loving the music and that is a big part of what I listen to today. This is one of the three main things that my dad has impacted my life on. These three things being cars, music, and the Denver Broncos.

The first way my dad impacted me was cars. My dad loves to go on cruises in our cars, especially our ‘47 Plymouth. Whenever we go on a ride in that we almost always catch a few people's attention. We used to have road trips in a car named Herman until we sadly had to sell him. He was a big car. So, while we had him he would be our road trip car which was nice when I had to share the backseat with my sister and dog. The next way that this has impacted me is helping in the Garage. A lot of the time in the summer my dad will ask for me or my sister's help, such as changing the oil in the car. One time I spent 2 to 3 hours with him rebuilding a carburetor. The third and final way cars have impacted me is car shows. My dad loves going to car shows and we are constantly going. We have even taken a road trip all the way down to Byron, Illinois to watch a drag show. That is how my dad loving cars impacted my life.

The second way my dad has impacted me is the music I listen to. Growing up I would always just listen to the top current songs on the radio. However, my dad wasn't a big fan of that music, so he tried to get me into the music he listened to. The first band he made me listen to was AD-DC. I was very reluctant to like them at first. At the age I was I wasn't into rock bands. To me, it sounded like heavy metal. Although, as I got older I started to like them more and more. Now a day I love to listen to them to get hyped up. The next big band that I was introduced to was Queen. As someone who had never heard them or grew up in the 80's, I thought they were weird at first. However, just like AD-DC I soon after I started to love them. The first song I heard from the band was Bohemian  Rhapsody. We were watching a movie and one of the characters put on the famous song. My mom and dad started singing along. After I gave them a weird look my dad looked at me and said, what, you don't know Queen? As I mentioned earlier when I was young my dad and I took a trip down to Iowa for Christmas. As we were listening to this radio I heard a very familiar song called Sweet child of mine by Guns n Roses. I didn't know the song's name or the band that sang it, just that it was awesome. Guns n Roses was probably the one band I like as soon as I heard them. After finding the album, Appetite for Destruction, I started to realize I knew a lot more songs by them than I thought I did. That is just three of the bands I listen to because of my dad.

The Denver Broncos are one of the most impactful things in my life. When I was seven I didn't like the Denver Broncos, but as I learned more about my dad they quickly rose to be my favorite team. Growing up I only watched a Vikings game every once in a while. However, my dad was a big football fan, especially the Broncos, and would watch them quite frequently. Eventually, I started watching them with him and learned more about the sport. Football quickly became my favorite sport and I started playing it in 6th grade. I also pay attention to the NFL a lot more. I like to stay updated on the Vikings, Dolphins, and of course the Broncos. My dad making me a Broncos fan has also affected gifts that I get for Christmas and my Birthday. Because my dad grew up in the suburbs of Denver, his side of the family is also all Broncos fans. When I became a fan they would get me Broncos themed gifts. My most prized possession is a signed Demarcus Ware jersey that I got on my Birthday from my uncle. That is how my dad, being a Broncos fan impacted my life and the way I view football.

My dad has impacted my life in a way nobody has. From the cars that I ride in and the road trips I take. To the Music that I listen to. And of course my love for football and the Broncos. My life would be very different without my dad. It all started with the trip to Iowa which decided a huge part of my life. One thing led to another and my life had been impacted in a way I hadn't realized. Not only has this journey with my dad greatly impacted me, but it has also taught me about him. That is why I take the road trips I do. That is why I listen to the music I do. That is why I love football and the Broncos. That is how my life has been impacted by my dad.