I Was Very Lucky to be Here | Teen Ink

I Was Very Lucky to be Here

April 24, 2009
By Chinesegirl BRONZE, Fruita, Colorado
Chinesegirl BRONZE, Fruita, Colorado
4 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Have you ever thanked your parents for cooking your meals every day? Have you ever thought about how much energy your parents use on you? I bet not because you think that’s why we have parents: to take care of us. Well guess what? There are kids out there who are just like you, but they don’t even have parents to love them. Think about those kids because they need more attention than you do. All over the world there are orphans that go hungry all the time.

How do I know this? Let me share with you about my true stories of being an orphan. Well I used to be one of them- an orphan girl. I was an orphan in China, and I don’t know who my real parents are? The bad thing is that we didn’t have an orphanage in our small town, so I lived with my foster family since I was 16 days old until I was 8 years old. After that I moved into the new orphanage in our town. There were other big kids who went through what I had to go through. All four of us become good friends thorough out the next six years. Then I was adopted by my parents, and I moved to America.

Being an orphan is not a great thing because we get made fun of all the time. If we don’t eat our meals on time then we can just go hungry. Once a year we’ll get new clothes and that would be on Chinese New Year. We had to learn how to wash our clothes and how to clean our room. I was the youngest so I had a hard tome learning all these new things. I felt lonely and lost hope when I was an orphan. I always wanted to be a bird so that I could fly out of my dark cage. Not every kid lives the way you do. Without a family to love them, then they will feel like a valueless person.

What I want you to understand is that you need to be happy with what you have and not to complain to your parents. Every time you wanted to complain, just think about Chinese’s orphans or African orphans. I’m sure you’ll understand how other kids aren’t lucky as you are. Life isn’t fair because not everyone had a great life. After I moved to Colorado, I realized how kids here were so self centered sometimes. I know I have to share my orphan stories with them. There are too many American kids being spoiled all the time. Instead of spend so much money on themselves, why don’t they give some money away to the orphanages or homeless shelters.

Be wise and open your heart to help other kids around the world. Reach out and give what you can to warm other people’s heart. When you help someone, you will feel good inside. There are many ways to help kids that need badly. Look for it in your community I’m sure there’s something you can do. Girls, save a trip to the mall and give your money away to an orphan girl. Who loves go shopping just like you but they can’t afford to go to the mall. Guys save a trip to hunting and give away your money to an orphan boy that just acts like you. Please reach out and help others and you will be proud of yourself.