The importance of the 17 SDGs  | Teen Ink

The importance of the 17 SDGs 

By Consciousness SILVER, Sao Paulo, Other
Consciousness SILVER, Sao Paulo, Other

The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are 17 objectives that all 193 UN Member States have agreed to achieve by the year 2030. After its adoption in September 2015, the outcome document “Transforming Our World: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development”, commits world leaders to fight poverty and attain sustainable development within the next 15 years. A new set of goals assures not only the urgency of development, but the fact that this development must be sustainable and boost equality. While taking into account different national realities, development will have to be universally applicable to all countries and cannot leave anyone behind.

While most of the Goals specifically acknowledge the responsibility of national governments for localization and implementation, local and subnational governments will eventually bear the task of providing most of the needed progress. Not only is the specific SDG 11 built around urban sustainability, but sustainability action at the local level has to be better mainstreamed across all the Goals. 

The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are aimed at everyone: policymakers, civil society, business, academia and each and every individual. At the political level, they provide the framework for action to be taken by policymakers, and government delegations report annually on the progress of each goal to the UN High Level Political Forum. But along with the public sector, it is crucial that the private sector and companies are involved in achieving the SDGs.

But, what are the SDSs and how can you take action for them? Well, let 's see (I’ll share in this order: name of each one of 17 goals, their purposes and then how you can take action, separated by hyphens)

No Poverty - end poverty in all its forms everywhere ; economic growth must be inclusive to provide sustainable jobs and promote equality - donate what you don’t use or volunteer 

Zero Hunger - the food and agriculture sector offers key solutions for development, and is central for hunger and poverty eradication ; end hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture - waste less food, compost and support local farmers 

Good Health And Well-being - ensuring healthy lives and promoting the well-being for all at all ages is essential to sustainable development ; ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages - vaccinate yourself and your family 

Quality Education - Obtaining a quality education is the foundation to improving people’s lives and sustainable development ; ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all - help educate the children in your community, in person or virtually

Gender Equality - Gender equality is not only a fundamental human right, but a necessary foundation for a peaceful, prosperous and sustainable world ; achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls - empower women and girls and ensure their equal rights by supporting feminist movements 

Clean Water And Sanitation - clean, accessible water for all is an essential part of the world we want to live in ; Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all - avoid wasting water 

Affordable And Clean Energy - energy is central to nearly every major challenge and opportunity ; ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all - use only energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs

Decent Work And Economic Growth- Sustainable economic growth will require societies to create the conditions that allow people to have quality jobs ; promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all - create job opportunities for youth

Industry, Innovation, And Infrastructure- investments in infrastructure are crucial to achieving sustainable development ; build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation - fund projects that provide basic infrastructure 

Reduced Inequalities - to reduce inequalities, policies should be universal in principle, paying attention to the needs of disadvantaged and marginalized populations ; reduce inequality within and among countries - support the marginalized and disadvantage 

Sustainable Cities And Communities- there needs to be a future in which cities provide opportunities for all, with access to basic services, energy, housing, transportation and more ; Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable - bike, walk or use public transportation 

Responsible Production and Consumption - ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns - recycle paper, plastic, glass and aluminum

Climate Action - climate change is a global challenge that affects everyone, everywhere ; take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts - act now to stop global warming 

Life Below Water - careful management of this essential global resource is a key feature of a sustainable future ; conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development - avoid plastic bags to keep the ocean clean 

Life On Land - sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, halt biodiversity loss ; protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss - plant a tree and help protect the environment 

Peace, Justice And Strong Institutions - access to justice for all, and building effective, accountable institutions at all levels ; promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels - stand up for human rights 

Partnerships - revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development ; strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development - loony your government to boost development financing 

So, to summarize, the seventeen Sustainable Development Goals are the core values of the plans to make the world a better place for all of us to live. They provide practical steps and inspire action towards the common good, aiming to engage a community full of hopeful people. I wish you learned a little bit more about how you can participate on this project in a local area, national or even international approach. 

Sources: 

sdgs.un.org/goals 

un.org/sustainabledevelopment/sustainable-development-goals/