Changes | Teen Ink

Changes

By Benneta1610 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
Benneta1610 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

Looking at how I have changed helps me realize who I am. For instance, It lets me know that I can change my mind and things will still work out for me. I could be in the stands of the football game rather than suited up playing in it and couldn’t be happier with that choice. Furthermore, I have always looked at the change in my life as a bad thing but reflecting on those changes has shown me that everything about those changes was good.

Looking at where I am now compared to where my 5th-grade self thought I would be is a crazy change. For one, I am playing the two sports I would have least expected to play (Volleyball and Track). My dad and I would throw a football outside for hours a day and I was always the best receiver up until I quit football after 6th grade. Playing volleyball was never even a thought that crossed my mind not even to add the fact that I am the captain of the varsity team this year. As for track, well, I should say track and field because I only ever do field events like high jump and long. Once again my younger self thought that track was only running for 2 hours a day just to run more at a meet on the weekend. While there is some truth to that; its not even close to as bad as I thought it would be once I joined. Who would have thought that a basketball practice would be way more draining than a track practice. Once again these changes that looked so bad a couple of years ago have been the best changes of my life. 

Looking back as close as a year ago, what I wanted to do in the future was so much different. I wanted to go and play volleyball at a division 1 or 2 school. Now, I would still like to continue playing volleyball in college however I am not a fan of making something I enjoy doing so much a job. You start to realize that once scholarships and money, in general, play a factor it's more of a job rather than something I am doing for fun. I always thought I was very good at making decisions but the more I go on with life the more I see that I am quite the opposite of decisive. I guess sometimes I am scared of committing to something because I don’t want to get stuck in something that I will regret. I think the same thing goes with change. Moving to a new house had me so upset that I overlooked the good in the new house. I didn’t even think about the fact that I was going to be getting my own bedroom or a park a minute away from my house. All I did was look at the bad about the new house rather than see how the change was good.

This piece is about how looking back I would be surprised where I am now