my name | Teen Ink

my name

By gcallen SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
gcallen SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

My name is Gabrielle, written in long cursive letters with no depth, only found on official government documents or school attendance sheets. But to the rest of the world I am Gabby. Written in big bouncing yellow bubble letters. 

My name is an odd number, 13. Gabby is the sound of children laughing while playing in a jungle gym or running out of school with their friends on the last day. And it tastes like a big swirly rainbow lollipop on a fall evening. 

In the dictionary, the definition of Gabby is someone who is excessively or annoyingly talkative. I’ve been told many times, “you know, you're not very gabby for a Gabby”. I like to keep to myself in a room full of people I barely know. but once my close friends or family are around and I slowly turn into the definition of my name. Chatty, Loud, vocal, and some might even say motormouthed.

It may not seem like a very complicated name, but you’d be surprised at the number of times my name has been misspelled and mispronounced. “Here” is all I say after the teacher scans the letters on the attendance sheet, and asks if Gabriel, the male version of my name, is in class. Because if I corrected everyone who got my name wrong I’d quickly lose my voice. 

Gabi, Gabbie, Gaby. All my name but not all me. No matter what anyone else says, I am Gabby. G-A-B-B-Y. I am my own person and my spelling reflects that. 

My step sister's name is Gabi, G-A-B-I. But that's not me. We both share G-A-B, just like we share a love for chocolate, staying up late, and hanging out in my room. But I would argue that the last couple of letters are the most important part of our names. That's what makes us unique. Without my B-Y and her I, nobody would know the difference. I love burrito bowls with everything imaginable piled on. While Gabi would rather eat a plain soft shell taco with just meat and cheese. 

I would have never thought how important 5 silly little letters are to my life. They distinguish me from others and help portray who I am inside and out. I wouldn’t ever change a thing about my name. G-A-B-B-Y. That is who I am.