Physical Education Should Be Mandatory in High School  | Teen Ink

Physical Education Should Be Mandatory in High School 

By hazelc BRONZE, Tirana, Other
hazelc BRONZE, Tirana, Other

Making physical education mandatory in high school is necessary for promoting student health and well-being due to its effectiveness in preventing students from gaining weight and developing cardiovascular diseases, providing a refreshing break from difficult academic classes, and helping students learn group interaction and social skills.  
By making physical education mandatory in high school, we can promote student health by preventing students from gaining excess weight. By doing regular physical activity, it increases the number of calories you consume into energy, which is known as burning calories. Students who have sedentary lifestyles and don’t move around much don’t burn as many calories, so the calories are then stored into body fat, instead of energy. If students gain too much weight, they will be prone to cardiovascular diseases. According to M. Javed Ashraf, “Obesity is associated with increased prevalence of hypertension, dyslipidemia, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes mellitus, and sleep apnea. There are several direct adverse effects of obesity on the heart and cardiovascular system.” By making it mandatory for high school students to do physical activity during school, their chances of developing a cardiovascular disease later in life decrease.  
As well as physical benefits, physical education provides mental benefits as well, as it can give students a break from the difficult academic classes, offering a refreshing change that can improve overall mental health and well-being. Although many people may argue that it is better to spend their time on a more important class needed to graduate, taking too many high-level classes can cause academic burnout, so having a physical education class relieves students of some of that academic pressure. Research has shown that physical activity stimulates the release of endorphins, neurotransmitters in the brain that promote feelings of happiness and reduce stress and anxiety levels. By including regular physical activity into the school day through mandatory physical education classes, students can experience these mental health benefits, leading to improved concentration, focus, and academic performance in their other classes.  
Also, physical education teaches students important life skills such as teamwork, leadership, communication, and cooperation with other students. These skills are essential for students to succeed in life. Through participation in team sports, cooperative games, and group exercises, students learn how to collaborate effectively, resolve conflicts, and support one another, enhancing their social and emotional development. These important life skills are valuable for building strong relationships, navigating future environments, and succeeding in future career paths. 
In conclusion, making physical education mandatory in high school is crucial for promoting much-needed student development, which includes physical development, mental development, and social well-being. By encouraging regular physical activity, we can reduce students’ chances of developing obesity and cardiovascular diseases, improve their mental health and academic performance, and help students develop essential life skills for success in their futures.